Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spoolup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hi guys,
I find myself and somewhat of a pickle.
I bought a 2012 MBA 13" (i5 1.8GHz) w/8gb o' RAM when it came out earlier this year.

I am not as mobile as I expected to be and all my "away" work can be accomplished with an iPad and a keyboard.

There's an offer to trade a 2009 iMac (i7 2.8GHz) for my MBA plus cash.

Here's what the iMac would be used for:
Brwosing/Email
Flash/Illustrator
xcode and maybe garageband.....

Would you recommend the swap based on the above?
Would there be any noticeable performance loss apart from not having an SSD (which will be added in due time)

Thanks in advance

spoolup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010

27 inch. I guess I should verbalize the whole thought :D
Sorry for omitting that

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
I don't really think that would be good. I have the 2012 MacBook Air and an iPad 4th generation now, but there are just some things that are better on a computer than an iPad. If I were you, I would keep the MacBook Air. It will probably get more OS updates and features in the future. It also depends on what processor, amount of RAM, and the hard drive space the iMac has.

spoolup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
It's an i7 running at 2.8
1TB HDD that'll be replaced with SSD
And 8GB ram

My away time is actually served better by an iPad. There are specific apps I have to use when away and the ipad ones are the only approved.....

I am more interested in performance differences between the two.
Thanks for the replies so far :)

Last edited:

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Those are some nice specs. But we all know Apple. The MacBook Air you have will be supported longer. Apple doesn't care about the hardware, they care about how old the machine is. I think you are better off keeping the MacBook Air, and if you definitely need a bigger screen, buy an external monitor. :apple:

spoolup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010

i'd love to, but i'm strapped for cash. i just thought this was the best way to get the real estate needed.
the deal fell through any way.
there was another person interested in trading a 2010 i7 quad 2.93 w/4gb ram and a tb drive for my MBA plus cash.......
I just didn't think a 2010 imac trade warranted cash on my side.... maybe i'm mistaken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.