Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Just out of interest, how many people would buy the mini over the 4 if it had a retina display?

Me.

The current display just doesnt cut it.

-t

----------

Of course, because you're comparing it directly to the iPad 4. What average person uses them at the same time / next to each other? What average person even has / would have both to do that?

Not the mini and an iPad 4, but using a mini and an iPhone 4/4S/5 cocurrently is something I would do all the time.

-t

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I like my mini, but...

We were given an iPad 1 before the 2 came out. It's been doing a fine job. But I wanted a mini as my hands are much smaller than my husband's and this fits on my purse or pocket easier.

My only hesitation for someone who doesn't have a mini is, if the new version will be out in March, I might wait. I've had mine 2 months. Love it.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2012
I couldn't fit the mini in the pockets of anything I wear and to be honest, I thought it was just as big of a pain to tote on the go as the full size. I use my iPhone for my portable and hate to say it but I can read text on it easier than the text on the much larger screen of the mini...

I don't put it in my pocket often but if I'm in a rush its small enough to fit in mine. I can notice that it has no retina but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
So. Why do people prefer the mini? Is it mainly cheaper cost or portability?

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I like the size and weight better. Don't have much interest in another full size iPad.

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
I have an iPad (3rd Gen) and bought an iPad Mini this weekend to test it.

I will return the iPad Mini because I cannot stand the screen's resolution compared to the iPad 3. Playing games on the iPad Mini is fun and the size of the tablet is perfect. That said, the screen's resolution is a deal-breaker for me.

I will wait for an iPad Mini with Retina Display before getting one again, but the iPad Mini's size/weight are ideal!

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I had the same urge you did, but wanted to return it the same day I got the mini. Coming from the iPad 3 the iPad mini's display stood out for the wrong reasons. I am waiting for the retina iPad mini. I can wait, as neither the weight or the size of the iPad 3 bothers me at all, but it's more of a want and variety more than anything else.

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
I had the same urge you did, but wanted to return it the same day I got the mini. Coming from the iPad 3 the iPad mini's display stood out for the wrong reasons. I am waiting for the retina iPad mini. I can wait, as neither the weight or the size of the iPad 3 bothers me at all, but it's more of a want and variety more than anything else.

Same here. I want a mini bad, but will wait for improved screen res. I had the thing in my hands 3 times and just can't get used to it. The form factor and weight are excellent!

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I've just bought the mini for my wife, instead of Kindle, and I was worried about the screen until I saw it. It's really a none issue, it's very very good, not quite retina but close enough for the screen size.

If you can afford both then do it, it's a lovely little piece of kit

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
So. Why do people prefer the mini? Is it mainly cheaper cost or portability?

I would say cost is a big factor.... and the portability.. Neither of which were worth the trade off for that screen....i returned mine. I hope the next mini gets a better display and I will then be another mini owner..

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Seen a fair few posts on this forum where people are getting rid of the ipad and getting a mini. Only reason someone would consider that would be for mobility, using it out and about. Can't see how its bests the full sized ipad otherwise.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Just out of interest, how many people would buy the mini over the 4 if it had a retina display?

I would not. I still prefer the larger screen for web browsing. I would buy the mini with retina screen to use when going out, but if I could only have one, the iPad 4 would win.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
I have an iPad 2 and got a mini for Christmas from my wife. Comparing the 2 to the mini, its basically the samething. I been using the mini exclusively and my daughter pretty much self-adopted the 2. I took the 2 away from her because she wasn't doing her homework (too much game playing) and man, it weighs a ton compared to the mini! Very noticable weight difference.
The retina display is a non-issue to me. I have the non-retina 2 and an iPhone 5, and it really does not matter. The screen is already very good as it is. I don't have to see every little imperfection just because.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I've had a Mini for 2 weeks along with my near year old iPad 3.

I spent a lot of time using both for direct comparison and found the following:

1. The resolution of the Mini only ever became an issue on large websites with a lot of complex formatting and tiny text (although my eyesight isnt the best)
2. The main complaint i have with the Minis screen is how inferior it is to its larger Retina counterparts at displaying complete RGB. It also has a distinctly less warm tone than the iPad 3.
3. Performance wise they ran identically on all apps tested.
4: Due to the massive weight difference i found myself forgetting i had hold of it in the way i would with my Kindle (a Paperwhite) this never happened with the iPad 3. After using a Mini for 10 minutes a full size iPad feels gargantuan.
5: If you use a Messenger bag (or any other manbag type thing) and travel around with an iPad everyday the Mini is much easier and takes up a lot less space.
6: Admittedly, i did find myself going back to the iPad 3 sometimes in the house. It is easier on the eyes.
7: The Mini wins for me hands down when it comes to gaming due to its size and weight, despite the already mentioned reservations with the screen.
8: Its much easier and quicker to charge the Mini. Charges in 3 hours rather than the 6 and a half with an iPad 3+10w charger. Unlike the 3 it can also charge from most USB ports.
9: The battery life is much better on the Mini. Getting on average 12 hours between charges :)

In the end i've decided to stick with the Mini and sell the 3. Although I don't think its fair to say either device is better, its defiantly a case of picking the one will suit your usage habits. Not everyone could justify having both a small and large iPad (i cant, at least not financially lol) but if you had money to burn i can see how people would could use both everyday. If you use your iPad a lot throughout the day, taking it with you everywhere or want to do some portable ios gaming i'd recommend at least looking at a Mini. However if you use it at home only the weight/size advantages do diminish significantly.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Personally, gaming is one of the best things about the mini. I used to play games on my gen 1 iPad a lot, despite owning a PS3, but with my mini I play and enjoy them even more, because for me and the games I play, I can either hold it in one hand and click around easier, or use both hands to hold and click on the device - it's a personal thing perhaps, because I would never say my iPad full sized was not fun, it was lots of fun, I just prefer the size of the mini over the full sized iPad.

And Joe Danger right now is the game I can't stop playing, if I had a full sized iPad I'd be saying that too - if you haven't played it, give it a go, it's a lot of fun (and I own the PS3 version too, but this one is more fun).

Thumbs up on Joe Danger, I can't get enough of that game too.

I own an iPad 3 and love gaming on it. I had a little play around on the iPad mini in an Apple store, I thought it was a neat little device... Loved the weight difference but as there is nothing wrong with my iPad 3, I can hold on a little while longer to see what Apples next gen pads bring to the table.

A retina mini may sway me though... But honestly I can't fault my iPad 3.

Last edited:

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
i'd wait for the mini 2 which i'd assume would have a Retina display.

I cant see the point go back in display tech just for a smaller form factor (and yes ive played with the mini a lot and think its cute).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.