Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Stephen Valente
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Mac Mini - i5 or i7?

Thinking of buying a Mac Mini to replace my ageing, and currently disabled MacBook Pro.

Is there a lot to be gained by getting the more expensive Mac Mini over the cheaper model? Apart from the i7 over the i5, and the bigger hard drive (would get a cheap, high capacity network drive instead), would it be better to get the cheaper model?

Want to have RAID storage to back up iPhones, an IPad and a Nexus 7, plus usage as an XBMC hub, etc. Would the best option from a cost per Tb issue be to buy an external hard drive such as WD Mybook Live model?

Whilst I'd love another iMac, don't think it'd be practical in terms of cost, and as a multimedia solution.
Stephen Valente is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:40 AM   #2
chrise2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Valente View Post
Thinking of buying a Mac Mini to replace my ageing, and currently disabled MacBook Pro.

Is there a lot to be gained by getting the more expensive Mac Mini over the cheaper model? Apart from the i7 over the i5, and the bigger hard drive (would get a cheap, high capacity network drive instead), would it be better to get the cheaper model?

Want to have RAID storage to back up iPhones, an IPad and a Nexus 7, plus usage as an XBMC hub, etc. Would the best option from a cost per Tb issue be to buy an external hard drive such as WD Mybook Live model?

Whilst I'd love another iMac, don't think it'd be practical in terms of cost, and as a multimedia solution.
If you're just using it as a backup server, the i5 is fine. If you'll be doing processor intensive tasks like video encoding or virtualizing Windows, I'd get the i7. The processor is the only thing you can't upgrade. Keep that in mind.
chrise2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Stephen Valente
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I agree in that sense. Just can't get over the feeling that the hard drive gain is a little meagre, but that's Apple for you!
Stephen Valente is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
slickadam
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany & Hungary
if you don't want to do anything very CPU intensive (XBMC could run on my alarm clock too ), then there's no need to spend extra 200 $, just because some says that the base mini can't do anything (which is bullsh...).
slickadam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Valente View Post
I agree in that sense. Just can't get over the feeling that the hard drive gain is a little meagre, but that's Apple for you!
The base mini is a fine machine. As already stated, unless you are doing a lot of encoding or VM's or what not, just go with the base.
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Drharrington
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Agreed... The base mini packs enough punch for most anything.
Drharrington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:12 PM   #7
costabunny
macrumors 68000
 
costabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ~/Dorset/
Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Yep for most uses the i5 is plenty - I have the i7 and its only when i have my virtual machines or handbrake running that the cpu is taxed.

If you aren't using power cpu intensive apps the the i5 base plus a 3rd party RAM boost to 8 or 16Gb would be good value. Coupled with something like the Western Digital MyBook Studio II RAID external would make a pretty awesome setup.
__________________
no mac for Bunny anymore

"Of all the things I've lost; I miss my mind the most."
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
Coupled with something like the Western Digital MyBook Studio II RAID external would make a pretty awesome setup.
Or even a 128/256GB SSD to run OSX and apps off of.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central, Louisiana
I got the mid level to sort of future proof myself a bit. I do occasionally do some video ripping and the difference is very darn noticeable in terms of rip time even doing 1080P.

I'd say make the investment, future proof yourself and enjoy the heck out of a really fast machine.

Oh I did add a SSD as my primary drive, then moved the included 1TB as my secondary drive.

Freaking sweet setup!
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
MacBook Pro Retina (2013)
Mac Mini (2012)
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Toucansma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
I have the same issue. I got a deal on an i5 Mac mini 12 for 480 which i plan to run windows 7 via parallels or virtual box. However now I'm second guessing the i5. I won't be gaming on either Mac OS or windows. It's mostly business software so nothing hardcore. Occasional handbrake rip. I plan on getting an ssd. Thoughts? Also debating about pure ssd vs a DIY fusion.
Toucansma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:22 PM   #11
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucansma View Post
I have the same issue. I got a deal on an i5 Mac mini 12 for 480 which i plan to run windows 7 via parallels or virtual box. However now I'm second guessing the i5. I won't be gaming on either Mac OS or windows. It's mostly business software so nothing hardcore. Occasional handbrake rip. I plan on getting an ssd. Thoughts? Also debating about pure ssd vs a DIY fusion.
my diy fusion is really good. 500gb samsung ssd plus 1tb oem hdd used a refurb 2.3 quad


http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD...-intel-core-i7


this pops up every once in a while
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Vix02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I'm in the same boat. Buying a mini tomorrow or Tuesday and not sure what to get still ( i5 vs i7 ). I have the aftermarket RAM bought and have a SSD for it. So whatever version I get will run to the max BUT I'm going to run a Win7 VM full time.

Will running 1 VM all the time kill the performance of an i5?

My guts are telling me i7 just to be safe


Sorry for the thread jack
__________________
2012 Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 240GB Intel 520, OSX 10.8.2;
Macbook Core2Duo 2.5, 2GB RAM ,250GB HDD, OSX 10.6.8;
Iphone 4S 16 GB;
Ipad mini 32 GB White;
Vix02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:50 PM   #13
macman05
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix02 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Buying a mini tomorrow or Tuesday and not sure what to get still ( i5 vs i7 ). I have the aftermarket RAM bought and have a SSD for it. So whatever version I get will run to the max BUT I'm going to run a Win7 VM full time.

Will running 1 VM all the time kill the performance of an i5?

My guts are telling me i7 just to be safe


Sorry for the thread jack
Get the i7.
__________________
2010  iMac 27" Quad Core i5 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 HD5750 1TB Seagate ATV 3
macman05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Captnroger
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Nothing you are likely to do on the Mini will tax the i5 processor. Take the extra money and throw in a SSD and an external case for the hard drive. And bump the ram to 8gb. The ram will be a better performance improvement than the jump to i7 in most cases.
Captnroger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
7thson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Six Rivers, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnroger View Post
Nothing you are likely to do on the Mini will tax the i5 processor. Take the extra money and throw in a SSD and an external case for the hard drive. And bump the ram to 8gb. The ram will be a better performance improvement than the jump to i7 in most cases.
Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow hard drive upgrades in i5 configuration. My bad if you meant he could upgrade to ssd himself after he bought it.

Last edited by 7thson; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Toucansma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
So i5 should be plenty then if its only 1 virtual machine (again no games)? Just up the RAM.

I keep going back and forth on SSD vs fusion. I have a 256gb SSD, but it looks to be a pain to put it in as a second drive (I have taken apart many laptops though).
Toucansma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #17
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucansma View Post
So i5 should be plenty then if its only 1 virtual machine (again no games)? Just up the RAM.

I keep going back and forth on SSD vs fusion. I have a 256gb SSD, but it looks to be a pain to put it in as a second drive (I have taken apart many laptops though).
It's really not that much pain. I did it this weekend in about a half hour (and part of that time was spent figuring out where I left off because I was called away in the middle). You just need to have the right drives for the different screws. I had done it in October 2011 on my 2011 Mini, but hadn't done it since (and really couldn't remember the entire process) so I just pulled up ifixit and followed their guide step by step. My SSD is just "floating" above the mechanical drive in mine (just like it did in my 2011) with no issues.

The other alternative, is that I believe you can just swap the mechanical for the SSD without even removing the logic board, but someone else will have to speak to that as I haven't tried it. You could then put the mechanical drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure and just use it as an external (cost was should be a push since you will have to buy the extra SATA cable if you want to run two drives).
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC