Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
im a complete camera noob . im trying to use a t4i for filming a vlog
the lighting is pretty normal for your standard dorm room.

im told that the lower the ISO the clearer your video quality will be. so my goal is trying to get the iso as low as possible but if i go any lower than 1600 my picture quality will get too dark.

currently i have my aperture set at 3.5, shutter speed at 30 and my iso at 1600. if i move down the iso any more it will cause the screen to be too dark

im using an 18-55mm lens. what should i be doing?

also a completely unrelated question but i charged my battery over night and i used it in my camera for no more than 3 minutes and already the battery looks like this

screenshot20130128at113.png

shouldnt the battery be displaying full bars?

Nov 28, 2010
located
im a complete camera noob . im trying to use a t4i for filming a vlog
the lighting is pretty normal for your standard dorm room.

im told that the lower the ISO the clearer your video quality will be. so my goal is trying to get the iso as low as possible but if i go any lower than 1600 my picture quality will get too dark.

currently i have my aperture set at 3.5, shutter speed at 30 and my iso at 1600. if i move down the iso any more it will cause the screen to be too dark

im using an 18-55mm lens. what should i be doing?

Do you have any kind of lighting you use to light the room or yourself? Can you post an example screenshot of one video you already made?

also a completely unrelated question but i charged my battery over night and i used it in my camera for no more than 3 minutes and already the battery looks like this

shouldnt the battery be displaying full bars?
It is displaying full bars, those two slashes are just the dividers for the battery percentage that symbol can show.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Just to point out you should always attempt to have your shutter at double the inverse of your frame rate so 1/50th for 25fps and 1/60 for 30fps.

Get some lights or position yourself where there is more light. It can easily be done with no equipment so just look at the light that you have access to and figure out the best way to shoot it.

Here is a video that I produced last week using all practical lighting (i.e. lights that were already there) apart from the fire shots I kept everything at or under ISO 800 just by placing the actor nearer the lights or moving the lights, for example moving the lamp to bounce it off the table in the bedroom scene.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
You need more lighting, and maybe a wider aperture lens. What focal length are you shooting at? If you find your shots near 55mm, consider getting a 50mm f1.8.

If you're worried about battery life, consider getting a battery grip which holds 2 batteries or an AC adapter.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The better exposed, the clearer your video will be. Noise in video is actually less of a problem than in a photograph, but a dark video is not good. If you need more light, add another light! That's cheaper than buying a new lens.

Borntorun

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
Perth, Australia
Artificial light is your answer.

Going to a wider aperture lens will cause issues with depth-of-field, in essence, you will have such a shallow depth of field at 1.8 (say) that when the subject moves closer or away from the camera, it will be out of focus. There are various depth of field calculators on the Internet - check your DOF for what you will be shooting, and ensure ou have adequate DOF to ensure the subject is in focus, all the time.

My gut feeling, you being a noob, shooting at a wide aperture is going to cause more trouble than what it solves. Hence, only answer, get more light.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
grab a chair, go outside on a reasonably lit day, shoot your vlog, your iso will be at 100-200 or 160-320 with magic lantern.

you want to shoot higher than f4 any lower and the focus will just give you a headache, also as mentioned:

24fps (23.98) - 50 shutter speed/47 if using ML
25fps - 50 SS - PAL
30fps - 60 SS - NTSC
50fps - 100 SS - PAL
60fps - 120 SS - NTSC

do not ever change the shutter speed, unless you know what your doing.
dont try being a smartass either saying you purposefully went for that look when using the wrong shutter speed.

exposure you want to slightly underexpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.