Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Is there a way I can narrow down what exactly is burning though my data? I use wifi everywhere I go but inside my car and at the bar.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Anything running in the background?
GPS or location based things?
What apps do you use?
How much usage do you do on cellular?
What's your plan?
How much data do you actually use?

Impossible to give an answer without details, OP.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
200 meg plan. I only use cellular for GPS, email, and flipboard. Just about everything is wifi. At most, I leave pocket money, car minder and notes running. I close background apps.

----------

I've never gone over until this month. I've had the phone for a year.

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I had the same problem last month and noticed that "use cellular data for" was switched on for (iCloud documents, iTunes, passbook updates, reading list) in General/Cellular and it was also switched on for (documents & data) in iCloud/Documents and Data. I also switched it off for (iTunes Match) in iTunes & app stores as I don't use that service!

Once I did this everything reverted back to normal.

It also helped when I spoke to my carrier and they pin pointed the time when the data was used up and it was the early hours of the morning when the above services run.

HTH :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
200 meg plan. I only use cellular for GPS, email, and flipboard. Just about everything is wifi. At most, I leave pocket money, car minder and notes running. I close background apps.

----------

I've never gone over until this month. I've had the phone for a year.

If you are using Apple Maps or Google Maps for GPS it will suck data because the maps are not stored on the phone. When flyover came out, I played with it for about an hour and consumed over 400MB.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
What carrier do you have?

Is this a new issue, as in have you had the 4S for awhile or is this a new plan with a new phone?

I ask because I used significantly more data on AT&T per month than I do now with Verizon. I break maybe the 2 GB mark per month now with two iPhone 5's on Verizon. On AT&T each phone (I had two iPhone 4's) would use about 2 GB's for a total of 4 per month. Same amount for email, web surfing, streaming video and music so our habits haven't changed. Only difference is that we have LTE now versus just 3G.

I originally got us the 8 GB plan because I thought we would need it but dropped it down to 6 GB after the first few months. Figure that will give us plenty between the two phones and incase we want to share the connection with our two iPads.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'm an AT&T customer. It's been higher these past few months, but it blew right past my cap this month. A friend of mine, same phone, same network, said this month he has used far more data than usual. Another friend has an iPhone 4 on AT&T and complains about the same problem.

I originally went with AT&T because they were cheaper than Verizon. That's not working out well for me now.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm an AT&T customer. It's been higher these past few months, but it blew right past my cap this month. A friend of mine, same phone, same network, said this month he has used far more data than usual. Another friend has an iPhone 4 on AT&T and complains about the same problem.

I originally went with AT&T because they were cheaper than Verizon. That's not working out well for me now.

So it's AT&Ts fault you're using up your tiny data package fast:rolleyes:
They should just not measure your data at all.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Already, Onavo is detecting cellular usage and I have been on wifi all day! What would cause that?

----------

So it's AT&Ts fault you're using up your tiny data package fast:rolleyes:
They should just not measure your data at all.

It's not been a problem until recently, as I use wifi everywhere I go. I know it's a tiny data package. It's just fine because I rarely use it.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Already, Onavo is detecting cellular usage and I have been on wifi all day! What would cause that?

Any notification from apps or emails use data even when on WiFi. If you truly want to stop cellular data, you need to turn off cellular data in settings. The phone will always use some cellular data to maintain a connection. But seriously with a 200 MB data limit, you can only use about about 6.6 MB a day. You can update 2-3 apps on cellular data and be around 100 MB. With your data setup, you really should be on a dumbfound and use a iPod Touch or iPad on on WiFi. Just my opinion, so take it for what is worth.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Well, this is unusual. I left the house for grocery shopping, come back, watch a movie, and see this. What the screw?! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360051686.907503.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.