Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:41 PM   #76
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
argh correct

I meant screen size.

Its just all over the web mostly people are comparing the pixel to the Air.
I think that's mostly because of the price and the 1.8Ghz low voltage CPU.

It's actually closer to the Macbook Pro in weight.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:31 PM   #77
Still100
macrumors regular

Mid Year, I'm guessing there will be a new slightly thinner design with a smaller footprint in size (w x d), ivy bridge lower power, no retina, same battery life.

Essentially just a new design. Following update to get Haswell early next year, MacBook Pro to get it in October.
Still100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:45 PM   #78
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetrain View Post
Here's a quick mockup of how I think the 2013 Air may look, with the antiglare glass screen (but not necessarily retina resolution):
Is it a given that they will drop the silver bezel?
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:54 PM   #79
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post
Is it a given that they will drop the silver bezel?
Not a given but I think it might happen given the new way they're doing the retina Macbook Pro displays.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:33 PM   #80
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
i would be shocked if they changed to a new charger so quickly
I'd be more shocked if they added a useless feature such as NFC

Anyway, my only real prediction is that I'll be buying one. I'm on a 128GB 2010 MBA and really need more storage. The extra speed would be a nice plus too.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:23 PM   #81
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post I would say....

Safe bets can be:

Better CPU (Haswell maybe)
Big SSD stock

Not so safe:

Faster SSD
Better GPU

Unlikeky:

Retina display
Touch capability

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:46 PM   #82
2IS
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
Safe bets can be:

Better CPU (Haswell maybe)
Big SSD stock

Not so safe:

Faster SSD
Better GPU

Unlikeky:

Retina display
Touch capability

If it's safe to say its getting haswell then it's safe to say its getting a better GPU. Haswell has a better IGP then Ivy Bridge.
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:54 PM   #83
wassal43
macrumors member

if it comes with retina i ll buy 13 inch instead of rMPB
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:40 AM   #84
Irial
macrumors newbie

I am just hoping for a bigger SSD, higher resolution (no need for retina display though, I don't really care for it) and better CPU. Also I am hoping it comes out sooner rather than later
Irial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:19 AM   #85
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelgar View Post
What will the 2013 Macbook Air wow us with?
I think it'll have an internal optical drive!

C'mon, IMNSHO this is a no-brainer as in 99% of the cases a laptop design can be surmised from the tech which is out there.

CPU/GPU? The next iteration MBA will have haswell only if Apple makes us wait for it - if an update comes out before that, expect only a minor speed bump.

I do not expect a retina as standard (differentiation, pricing), but I think a BTO-option would not be out of the question. The HW would definitely support it.
Display type? IPS could be a possibility.
Touchscreen? Gimme a break.

Connectivity? What is there to offer? The MBA already is on the highest level, but I'm sure someone could add some ports (which Apple won't do)

Storage? Sure, prices have come down, but not enough to double the capasities while keeping the same price points. Also the basic amounts are currently suitable for most, so I'd rather expect Apple to lower prices than bump storage.

Sadly (for us rumormongers), given the state of components, the only radical thing Apple could do with the MBA lineup is to add another member to the family - the long rumored 15" MBA (which some could say would still have a niche to fill), but I do not expect it...
Honestly, the current MBA lineup is as close to perfect as it can get. The Apple announcement-machine has to focus on other areas for a while (Mac Pro, please)

RGDS,
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:48 AM   #86
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
I think it'll have an internal optical drive!

C'mon, IMNSHO this is a no-brainer as in 99% of the cases a laptop design can be surmised from the tech which is out there.

CPU/GPU? The next iteration MBA will have haswell only if Apple makes us wait for it - if an update comes out before that, expect only a minor speed bump.

I do not expect a retina as standard (differentiation, pricing), but I think a BTO-option would not be out of the question. The HW would definitely support it.
Display type? IPS could be a possibility.
Touchscreen? Gimme a break.

Connectivity? What is there to offer? The MBA already is on the highest level, but I'm sure someone could add some ports (which Apple won't do)

Storage? Sure, prices have come down, but not enough to double the capasities while keeping the same price points. Also the basic amounts are currently suitable for most, so I'd rather expect Apple to lower prices than bump storage.

Sadly (for us rumormongers), given the state of components, the only radical thing Apple could do with the MBA lineup is to add another member to the family - the long rumored 15" MBA (which some could say would still have a niche to fill), but I do not expect it...
Honestly, the current MBA lineup is as close to perfect as it can get. The Apple announcement-machine has to focus on other areas for a while (Mac Pro, please)

RGDS,
As much as the Mac Pro may need a refresh, I expect Apple to focus on the MacBook Air instead.

In 2011 and for the most part of 2012, the Air was widely considered the king of ultraportables. But ultrabooks are catching up quickly. There are some very interesting and functional designs. Look at Acer Aspire S7, Asus Taichi and Transformer Book, Dell XPS 12, Lenovo ThinkPad Helix and IdeaPad Yoga, Microsoft Surface Pro, Samsung Series 7 and 9... And so so. You may argue that most of them have their flaws, but they are evolving at a quick pace. And Apple surely has an eye on the competition as it does not want to lose its mojo.

I would expect the Air to get a redesign in 2014, but given the evolution of ultrabooks and the likeliness of better models following the release of Haswell, I think Apple may want to revamp the Air in late 2013.

I expect a retina display, even if Apple has to go IGZO for that, an even thinner and lighter body, and perhaps less battery life than the retina Pro.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:43 PM   #87
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

OLED perhaps?
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:19 PM   #88
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

No way. The tech isn't there yet.
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:26 PM   #89
itouch rulz
macrumors member

I have to buy a 13 inch MBA in mid-April. I'm travelling and will need to work and it's impractical to take my 27 inch work iMac or 21 inch home iMac.

I need to be able to use track changes in Word and significant copy and paste between multiple Word and pdf documents and attach these finished documents to emails so an iPad is going to be too limiting.

Looks like there is no (or virtual no) chance that new MBAs will be out by then.

Probably go for top spec 13 and upgrade the RAM and processor but not the SSD (256 will be fine for me).
itouch rulz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #90
merkinmuffley
macrumors regular

I could really use 16gb. I can run CS6 in 8, but it runs a lot better in 16.
merkinmuffley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Tags
2013 macbook air