Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:22 AM   #51
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
EDIT: Lmfao, what?! $491 for a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro?! What a ripoff
That thing is freaking 3 years old with 3 year old technology inside. I mean, come on! A Core 2 Duo... $491 might be a slight lowball (maybe by $9), but it is by no means a ripoff.
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:43 AM   #52
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

I sold an old blackberry on there I bought from AT&T for 1 penny because it was a refurb, they gave me $190 for it so I was happy. I sold my 4S on eBay for 425 a few weeks ago, I'm not sure why people say it's a hassle.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:18 AM   #53
thekb
macrumors 6502

If the biggest beef against gazelle is that they offer less money than I can get locally, I can make that decision for myself. I realize there is a trade off for a hassle free transaction.

My question is: is the transaction really hassle free? Do they honor their own price quote? Do they try to low ball you after you ship it in? If you refuse their offer do they ship you back your computer or lie about the condition and send you back a broken one? Do they pay timely?

I read so many horror stories about scammers on eBay, I am reluctant to sell such a high dollar item on it. This is a 2011 iMac 27 inch so I have tried Craigslist and no calls in over a month. I'll probably try dropping the price first but gazelle may wind up being best alternative.
thekb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:24 AM   #54
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekb View Post
If the biggest beef against gazelle is that they offer less money than I can get locally, I can make that decision for myself. I realize there is a trade off for a hassle free transaction.
You're exactly right. The upside of Gazelle is they do offer a painless transaction, the downside is you are not getting market price.

I've all but given up on eBay with all its fees, scammers, and policies that support only the buyers.

Amazon.com has a limited selection of items you can trade in for Amazon.com gift cards, I've had good luck with that with some old cameras getting a better price than I would have with Gazelle and others...but payment is not cash.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:57 AM   #55
XboxMySocks
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
That thing is freaking 3 years old with 3 year old technology inside. I mean, come on! A Core 2 Duo... $491 might be a slight lowball (maybe by $9), but it is by no means a ripoff.
No... that's for an i7...
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:28 AM   #56
Tyler23
macrumors 68040

Thinking of selling my flawless 16GB 4S to Gazelle. I'd love the extra hundred I could get from Craigslist or eBay, but given that I work 40hrs a week and am also a student, I don't really have the time/capacity to deal with trying to find a buyer, set up an exchange, and hope for the best.

Is this wise? Is Gazelle really trustworthy? Or is there a better way I could sell my phone with limited hassle and for more profit?
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:54 AM   #57
famoussasjohn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
not for my iphone 4.
I got $200 for my iPhone 4 16GB that was in great condition. I threw in 2 of my $1 knockoff bumpers. That was in November when I got the iPhone 5.
famoussasjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 AM   #58
Ibjr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rkchop View Post
Figured I'd throw this out there.

I was quoted $280 for a "PERFECT" 16gig 4S on Gazelle the week before the iPhone 5 was released, they honor their estimates for 30 days I believe. Anyways, I received their shipping label and USPS priority box, wrapped the 4S in newspaper and sent it away.

A few days later they emailed me saying they received it and payment would be soon after they inspect it.

Three days later I received a payment of $280 in my Paypal account.
The phone was in an Otterbox defender case since day one, but PERFECT price quotes ARE possible from them.

A lot of talk online is of how they rip people off etc...not my experience. Paid $200 for the phone a year ago, and sold it for $80 more than I paid. With no eBay hassle/fees/risks
Apple swapped my phone out and I sent it in to Gazelle. It was an iPhone 3GS and Gazelle refused to say it was perfect because it had "scuff" marks. It did not. I asked for it to be reinspected and they again claimed it had "scuff" marks.
Ibjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:37 AM   #59
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Thinking of selling my flawless 16GB 4S to Gazelle. I'd love the extra hundred I could get from Craigslist or eBay, but given that I work 40hrs a week and am also a student, I don't really have the time/capacity to deal with trying to find a buyer, set up an exchange, and hope for the best.

Is this wise? Is Gazelle really trustworthy? Or is there a better way I could sell my phone with limited hassle and for more profit?
Even if it's not in perfect condition, they only knock off $10.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:16 AM   #60
Legios
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
No... that's for an i7...
Um your picture, clearly says Core 2 Duo, 17" screen is not i7!!
Legios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:41 PM   #61
thekb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekb View Post

My question is: is the transaction really hassle free? Do they honor their own price quote? Do they try to low ball you after you ship it in? If you refuse their offer do they ship you back your computer or lie about the condition and send you back a broken one? Do they pay timely?

I read so many horror stories about scammers on eBay, I am reluctant to sell such a high dollar item on it. This is a 2011 iMac 27 inch so I have tried Craigslist and no calls in over a month. I'll probably try dropping the price first but gazelle may wind up being best alternative.

This is a follow up to my own post, since I asked the question and have since completed the transaction.

I sold the imac to Gazelle for less than I SHOULD have been able to sell for on Craigslist, but never got any serious calls when I advertised it. I did not go the ebay route based of possibility of getting screwed out of my money and imac.

Gazelle was not exactly lightning fast -- they took more than a week to review the product after it was received. But they did not dicker over their offered price and I had a check within about 2.5 weeks of initially sending it in.

Overall, like I said, I am capable of deciding whether the offered price is fair. The transaction went relatively smoothly for me and I was satisfied. I do not consider Gazelle to be a scam since they paid what they offered online.

On a side note, about a week after I initially got the price quote, I tried entering the info again at Gazelle to see how much the price had changed. The offer had gone from $930 to $785 within about a week! I am glad I got the offer locked in when I did.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #62
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Gazelle doesn't use lowball techniques. People who don't understand how commerce works are the only ones that fail to understand.

Nor do they reduce the quoted price without good reason. For those who are too lazy to read Gazelles FAQ it's no wonder they are frustrated & confused. If you don't like the reduced price you simply say so, they return it to you immediately.

Of course you get less when using Gazelle, the convenience is worth it. If you disagree, just don't use them. It's quite simple.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:08 PM   #63
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Pretty much what the user said above.
Offcourse they will give you less of what you can get if you sell it yourself. They dont buy it for themselves, they resell it to make a profit.
So there's gotta be meat left on the bone for them to offer you the convenience.
But again if you go through all that to send it in and wait 2-3 weeks to get your money is not really that much of a convenience IMO. Not that hard to list it on ebay or CL instead and get more for it and your money faster.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:00 AM   #64
thekb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Gazelle doesn't use lowball techniques. People who don't understand how commerce works are the only ones that fail to understand.

Nor do they reduce the quoted price without good reason. For those who are too lazy to read Gazelles FAQ it's no wonder they are frustrated & confused. If you don't like the reduced price you simply say so, they return it to you immediately.

Of course you get less when using Gazelle, the convenience is worth it. If you disagree, just don't use them. It's quite simple.

Yeah, that's what I said. I wasn't complaining about the price I got, only noting that it was less than I should have been able to get in a private transaction. I understand there is a price for convenience and i was willing to pay it.

I was following up with an actual user transaction experience in case anyone wanted to know how it went. I was satisfied with my experience.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:21 AM   #65
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502

I just sold a 1st gen iPad 3G (32GB) on eBay for $150, and the screen was practically shattered. It was still functional, but if you moved your finger across the screen you got glass dust on it. I was very honest in my auction; the title and description both heavily emphasized the broken screen and it still sold in 24 hours at what I considered to be an excellent price.

My father-in-law told me he was going to sell his iPad 3 64GB wifi model on Gazelle so I checked and they offered him $280...I immediately told him I could get him almost $100 more on eBay if he was patient.

Gazelle is fine if you're willing to settle for quick turnaround and quick cash, but if your device is less-than-perfect or if you're willing to wait it out and take a gamble, eBay is the money maker in my opinion.
ZombiePete is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone