Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm getting slammed with spam with my @me and @icloud account.

When MobileMe rolled out years ago I obtained a minimalist Email address, similar to those users who have joe@mac.com. It has been picked up/guessed by a lot of questionable sites and incorrectly entered by a lot of folks, e.g., I get valid airline confirmation emails where I can actually go into the airline reservation with the passenger's last name and confirmation number and move their seats around. Crazy.

Every day I move 30-40 emails to the junk folder. Apples algorithms don't stop enough. Since I use this address for family and friends only I'd really like to automatically move all email not in my Apple address book to the junk folder. (I have separate email addresses for work and commercial purposes, ie, online purchases, news subscriptions.

Is there a way to automatically direct all email from senders not in my address book to the junk folder... without having to enter each address in the rules option?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

When MobileMe rolled out years ago I obtained a minimalist Email address, similar to those users who have joe@mac.com. It has been picked up/guessed by a lot of questionable sites and incorrectly entered by a lot of folks, e.g., I get valid airline confirmation emails where I can actually go into the airline reservation with the passenger's last name and confirmation number and move their seats around. Crazy.

Every day I move 30-40 emails to the junk folder. Apples algorithms don't stop enough. Since I use this address for family and friends only I'd really like to automatically move all email not in my Apple address book to the junk folder. (I have separate email addresses for work and commercial purposes, ie, online purchases, news subscriptions.

Is there a way to automatically direct all email from senders not in my address book to the junk folder... without having to enter each address in the rules option?

How about this?

/Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 9.44.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 9.44.16 PM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 150

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Have you ever placed Mail into training mode? If not, then do so. When it identifies your junk mail with sufficient accuracy, then you take it out of training mode. By "accuracy," I mean that it identifies junk mail with few if any false positives.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
How about this?

/Jim

Thanks! For some reason when I tried that about a year ago I don't recall all of the drop down options being there, e.g., "The sender is not in my address book." So far it's working great.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I use SpamSieve and find it much better than Apple's spam filter after training. Works with Mail, Outlook for Mac, Entourage and a variety of other email clients.

http://c-command.com/spamsieve/

Not affiliated with the product just a happy user.

Thanks! For some reason when I tried that about a year ago I don't recall all of the drop down options being there, e.g., "The sender is not in my address book." So far it's working great.

Yes I also use Spam Sieve. Well worth the price and the time to train it.

There's a demo. Definitely check it out.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
... So far it's working great.

Well, I'm not so sure.

Was working great until I closed the mail app. Then when I accessed my @me account on iPhone, junk was in the inbox, even after connecting and updating. When I re-opened the mail app on my MacBook, the inbox updated in the mail app... AND on my iPhone.

Do I have to keep the mail app open all the time for the mail to be directed into the junk folder according to the rule I set up?

----------

Argh! Using icloud.com to access mail, the rules in preferences are NOT the same as in the mail app. There is not an option for "The sender is not in my address book." Are you kidding me?!!

If a message
- is from
- is addressed to
- is Cc'd to
- is addressed or Cc'd to
- has something containing
<enter> Name or email address

This is crazy!! Why are the rules not the same as in the mail app?!!

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Still getting slammed. 30-40 per day.

On the mail app on my MacBook Pro I set the filter so that all mail from senders not in my address book go to junk. That works pretty well.

It's frustrating that the web/icloud version of mail does not have the functionality to do this so my iPhone and iPad inboxes are clogged up.

Argh!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Still getting slammed. 30-40 per day.

On the mail app on my MacBook Pro I set the filter so that all mail from senders not in my address book go to junk. That works pretty well.

It's frustrating that the web/icloud version of mail does not have the functionality to do this so my iPhone and iPad inboxes are clogged up.

Argh!

If Mail is not open the it can't run the filter because it is local to the computer. Which means if you are hauling around your laptop so Mail is being shut off then this is a side effect.

FogCityMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
My filter is doing fine, it is stopping all spam, 277 this week, someone thought it was funny to submit my e-mail at survey's.

Which filter?

The one in Mail on my MacBook Pro works fine. However, when it's not connected to the internet, all junk mail shows up in inbox on iPhone and iPad since the filter in iCloud is garbage. Don't people with @mac, @me, and @icloud accounts who do not have Mail (ie, on a Mac) have this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.