Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's like saying the airbags and computer skid control should have been in cars since the beginning in 1901.

Weak analogy. Apple has had multiple monitor support for years. There's absolutely no excuse for them not having full support for multiple monitors from day one of adding full screen mode. It's not an issue of technical innovation, it's something they were certainly capable of doing at the time but just didn't get it in. And a couple years later, it still isn't in.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
end your pain now! try http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder. it's free. it does all that and plenty other neat stuff. ;)

Yes, Xtrafinder is just plain flipping AWESOME. It's gotten rid of virtually every complaint I had about the Finder (Dual-View is SOOO much nicer to use for moving files around plus tabs lets you keep multiple directories open as well) and unlike Apple, its author actually updates it. ;)

We all know it's going to be OS X 10.9 LOLCat

Here I figured it was going to be 10.9 Pretty Kitty to go with the interface makeover for iOS since it's apparently just oh so stale looking.... :rolleyes: (And Hello Kitty was already trademarked, it seems)

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
A real update is when they do more than just add a couple of apps to the OS. They are adding functionality this time around. Which is what OS updates are all about.

Now we are not too far away from OS XI... can't wait to see what leap they make w/ that one.

Unless the next OS is OS X 10.10 :'(

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Late at the party, but when will they reinstall the top rightmost button to get a minimal window view?

greentips

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
Weak analogy. Apple has had multiple monitor support for years. There's absolutely no excuse for them not having full support for multiple monitors from day one of adding full screen mode. It's not an issue of technical innovation, it's something they were certainly capable of doing at the time but just didn't get it in. And a couple years later, it still isn't in.
And this is one of the prime reasons I am still using 10.6. I use applications that use multiple monitors and Spaces was one of the best ways to use it. These applications permitted me to display imaging on one screen critical to my work and ancillary data on the other, yet allowed me to easily switch desktops on both screens when necessary to do other work.

I also run very compute intensive tasks in background (monte-carlo simulations) at low priority. I realize this isn't the typical Mac use these days, but it is why physicists love macs. I really would love to bring the 10.6 to an updated version, but after having a go with 10.7 and wasting hours, I'd rather go back to FreeBSD/KDE than deal with 10.7.

Colors on things like finder folders (applications hieroglyph) help make it quicker to find things. Apple probably found it cheaper not to colorize so they didn't.

Computers are about productivity. These things make us more productive. Without them, well, there's always FreeBSD/KDE or Linux/Gnome and at far lower prices.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I really hope that multi-tasking is fixed; I hate it when Finder hangs because the foreground Window has hung. That is so 90s.

Windows 7 / 8 Explorer.exe rarely hang as much as Finder does with a mis-behaving app these days.

The Finder's stupidity is one of my most hated things about Mac OS X also. I don't understand why one window getting stuck waiting for something should mean the whole application should get stuck. Stupid.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Multitasking ??

Did i read that correctly :eek:

I sure hope they were thinking of a Chrome-Book

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Apple should go back to the old release cycle. I don't mind if 10.9 releases next year and the $129 price. If that means more updates to 10.8 which means a much more efficient and finally the return of the truly rock solid OS X. I'll be more than happy. Even so a much less buggy 10.9. :D

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
The file system has supported tags for a while, it's just that the user interface people have not exposed it to us other than spotlight comments, which is not useful. I really really hope IPTC keywords will be built in.

Do I read this correctly? Tagging finally becoming a first-class citizen on OS X? This would most certainly mean revamps to the file system! I don't care much for tabbed Finder, but it could be interesting if done right. Oh, and the application-backgrounding APIs sound extremely interesting!

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The file system has supported tags for a while, it's just that the user interface people have not exposed it to us other than spotlight comments, which is not useful.

It is useful! I use that to group files by subject and key words, for example all pdf's with a common subject, theme, author etc. Then I just dump them in one mega folder. :D

With a floating info window, or Automator action you can tag several selected files at once as well.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
It is useful! I use that to group files by subject and key words, for example all pdf's with a common subject, theme, author etc. Then I just dump them in one mega folder. :D

With a floating info window, or Automator action you can tag several selected files at once as well.

It might be fine for light use but for those who have been burned by storing metadata separate from the file, it's not good enough. The only way I know I'm not going to waste my time is if the data is in the file (see IPTC). The system can feel free to copy that to another database for faster searches. Spotlight comments are stored in .DS_Store files and there are many ways those can get stripped, deleted, or lost as you move your files around over time, especially if you tend to work with multiple operating systems.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It might be fine for light use but for those who have been burned by storing metadata separate from the file, it's not good enough.

The problem with that is that it presupposes that all file formats have a standard way to store arbitrary meta data.

Secondly, the metadata I mentioned all refers to finding the file with Spotlight. You create a way to search for it beyond file name.

Spotlight comments are stored in .DS_Store files and there are many ways those can get stripped, deleted, or lost as you move your files around over time, especially if you tend to work with multiple operating systems.

No they aren't, they are stored in a central database, not in ds_store files.

Banquo

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Tabbed Finder. Finally.

How tabbed 'browsing' has escaped Finder and Windows Explorer for so long baffles me completely. If Apple reveal this on Monday, it will be another of those little it's so obvious, why did nobody do this before?! moments for them.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Tabbed Finder. Finally.

How tabbed 'browsing' has escaped Finder and Windows Explorer for so long baffles me completely. If Apple reveal this on Monday, it will be another of those little it's so obvious, why did nobody do this before?! moments for them.

They have done it before and you can add it yourself today with XtraFinder ( http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/ )

It also has dual-pane mode for easy copying (reminds me of Diskmaster or Directory Opus) among other things. It makes Finder SO much more pleasant. Yeah, it would be nice if Apple had some of these things built into Finder (it would certainly help OSX's reputation, IMO), but they don't seem much interested in actually improving OSX functionality. They seem more interested in making it LOOK like iOS even though the two really aren't all that compatible in terms of interfaces (e.g. Windows8 isn't too popular with much of the Windows7 crowd).

rexy101

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Better multi monitor support for OSX is definately something I'm looking forward to. Currently it's a joke compared to Windows 8 running in bootcamp on the same macbook.

yeh multi monitor support has been very poor. There are a few apps out there though that support this void. such as Multi Display Utility or Multimon. Although MDU seams more comprehensive and cheaper. Thats what I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.