Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I found a script to do so, but I get an error message about audio tracks every time.

tell application "VLC"
activate
OpenURL "dvdnav:///dev/rdisk1"
play
next
fullscreen
end tell

Anyone know of a sure-fire way to have inserted DVDs automatically play in VLC?

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Go to System Preferences --> CDs & DVDs and choose VLC instead of DVD Player. I think that was in Tiger too, but I know it's in Leopard.

I had to do that for a while since DVD player crashed Leopard on my 12" powerbook until 10.5.3

petertheartist

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
More surefire applescript

A lot of times people have issues with this type of script because attaching/removing external disks, or optical drives can change the rdisk number associated with the DVD drive. Enable UI scripting, then use this applescript as the default to open DVDs:

tell application "VLC"
activate
end tell
tell application "System Events"
key down command
keystroke "d"
key up command
delay 3
keystroke return
tell application "VLC"
play
fullscreen
end tell
end tell

If your drive can deal with the region, then any DVD you insert will go straight to the menu in fullscreen mode. If your system is faster than my G4, you can reduce or remove the 'delay 3'

peter

neil509

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Go to System Preferences --> CDs & DVDs and choose VLC instead of DVD Player. I think that was in Tiger too, but I know it's in Leopard.

I had to do that for a while since DVD player crashed Leopard on my 12" powerbook until 10.5.3

It still works and im using mountain lion now :)

Muggsy

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Hi everyone

I am stuck with VLC as each time I insert a CD/DVD, it opens the programme but nothing more.
It shows the Main Window, but then to play the Disc I have to do Open Disc/Open.
Very, very boring.

Any ideas to make it to play the disc automatically??

Thanks a lot
:):):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.