Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajhard

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I already have the upgrade .exe for Win 8 64 bit, but no windows installation right now. I do have licences for XP, Vista and Win7 - Is there a way to create an ISO from the .exe at all?

Cheers

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Is there a way to create an ISO from the .exe at all?
No, the setup.exe is just a program to guide you to download and install Win 8, it is not an ISO file in itself. If you read the guide, you'll understand how it works to help you get a copy of ISO file. Microsoft has changed its policy for Win 8, no more free trial and direct ISO download as for Win 7.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I take it you can't download the Windows 8 ISO ?

I have a copy of XP and i would like to buy windows 8 upgrade but i dont want to install xp really just to upgrade to windows 8.

I assume the tutorial posted in this thread works with W7 ISOs. I need to install windows 8 somewhere to create an ISO... maybe as well install XP and the wrath of updates and then update. Pain.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
No, the setup.exe is just a program to guide you to download and install Win 8, it is not an ISO file in itself. If you read the guide, you'll understand how it works to help you get a copy of ISO file. Microsoft has changed its policy for Win 8, no more free trial and direct ISO download as for Win 7.

They did release Win 8.1 as a Preview "Free Trial"; download direct ISO with key from:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

Read the FAQ's and as always ..... use at your own risk, it will probably only be available for another day or 2 until 8.1's official release. :)

The actual expiration date for the "Win 8.1 Preview" with key code is 15 Jan 2014.

Last edited:

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
They did release Win 8.1 as a Preview "Free Trial";
A preview version of Windows is not a strict "Free Trial" in my earlier statement, you are more of a guinea pig to help testing the software bugs, and Microsoft could change their RTM version as already demonstrated in Windows 8. Starting from Windows 8, you need to provide a valid product key before installation. For Windows 7, you could download and use it for up to 120 days without a valid product key.

----------

I take it you can't download the Windows 8 ISO ?
As long as you have a valid product key, you can download it using a computer running Windows XP/Vista/7. No more direct download from Microsoft.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
A preview version of Windows is not a strict "Free Trial" .....No more direct download from Microsoft.

SEMANTICS :p!

It's free, it's available, it's a trial, it has a valid product key, and it is a direct downloaded ISO; but yeah it doesn't meet your "strict" definition :eek: .......:D

I've used Windows 8; and now Windows 8.1 Preview as the sole OS on my 2013 MBA for about 2 months now, without any major problem.

Back on topic: I'm not sure but as I understand the FAQ, once installed any valid Win 8 product key should upgrade it to the Valid RTM Windows 8.1, once released.

"Additionally, you'll also need your Windows 8 product key when you update to the final edition of Windows 8.1 from the preview."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.