Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
Well, next time you're down this way, try New York's Wurst Restaurant; read their menu here.

Oops, sorry that was their food menu! Here's the beer menu.

A nice place; just wish I didn't live so far out in NJ.

What I commonly do when going to a new place is to preface by asking "What do you have on tap?". After hearing the list, I'll then say "I'll have a _____ please." If there's an option for different sizes, the waitress will ask.

If you know what you want, then order by brand "Leffe Dunkle, bitte". In a lot of european countries, I'll simply ask for a beer in the local language and they'll typically serve a draft of whatever their local standard is. As you get better at it, when in Germany, you can then add the klein/gross/mas (for small/medium/huge sizes), etc.

-hh

Hey, thanks for posting that. If I'm having a beer, I like food to go with it.
That's a pretty good beer list. Wheat beers and everything.

Here in the Boston area, we are blessed with a fair number of Irish pubs. Some are very friendly and well run. Others, not so. Put it this way, some of them are places where you might not want your mother to know that you went there.

St. Patrick's Day is big business around here. It's not an official holiday, but they really should consider making it one, considering how many people take a vacation day, or otherwise "play hookey".

On St. Patrick's Day, they can barely keep enough Guinness in stock. The best pubs not only know how to serve it, but some bartenders will use a popsicle stick to draw a shamrock in the head. And then, there's the smell of corned beef and cabbage,,,,

A place I hope never goes away,, Jacob Wirth

Now, this is a restaurant. Excellent food, good service. Some of the best sandwiches in Boston can be consumed right here.

Good golly, do we like food, or what?

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
In New England (comprised of the 6 most north eastern United States) most places have bottles or draft.
Bottles are 12 ounces, drafts are typically 16, but many places (especially brew pubs and Irish bars) serve "Imperial Pints" which are 20 ounces. Especially for Guinness, Bass, Harp, etc.

Some Japanese restaurants will have 22 ounce Sapporo bottles.

If you say something like "Can I have a Bud draft, please", you get a 16 ounce glass with a random logo stuck on the side, filled with fuzzy yellow water.

If you say something like "Can I have a Guinness, please", you get a 20 ounce glass with a Guinness logo on the side, filled with nectar, sweet, sweet, nectar. :D

Many bars also have "mug clubs" where you pay a membership fee and then get a larger beer for the same price as a 16 ounce, and/or discounts on food and such.

Trinity Brewhouse in Providence, RI used to serve 24 ounce mugs for the same price as a 16 ounce, plus you got a dollar off burgers and other sandwiches. Cost $25 for the year. I think I made my money back about 3 weeks in! Back when I was young and invincible. :eek:

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
John Kerry, isn't he the one that marries rich women?

Naw Dude, he was the guy who played Skeletor in the He-man movie with Dolf Lundgren.

Anyways, I don't ask in my bar. He (the bartender) see's my car and decides which size he will pour me based on my level of stress. When I want a quart, I just start waving my hands in the air and talking to myself on the way in.

But, its always cold and I never have to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.