Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garthilk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
So, the issue is that whenever I select a movie or TV show from my Itunes Homeshared hard drive. I get the black screen and the spinning circle indicating it's loading. And nothing happens. Just sits and spins forever.

However, if I'm on my computer in iTunes playing a movie and I change the destination to my Apple TV it loads up and starts playing under 5 seconds.

capt601

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Mine does the same thing except sending to apple tv from computer it still freezes after a couple of minutes playing the movie. So either way it doesn't work.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Could be:
1) weak wifi network (router using "g" or "n"?)
2) if using mkv as source file, may need ethernet connection to aTV
3) if mp4, may benefit from being "optimized" either in Subler or Handbrake

More info on your home connection format and file type would be helpful.

capt601

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Could be:
1) weak wifi network (router using "g" or "n"?)
2) if using mkv as source file, may need ethernet connection to aTV
3) if mp4, may benefit from being "optimized" either in Subler or Handbrake

More info on your home connection format and file type would be helpful.

Not weak network,
Other movies have worked before and no issues. This happened after last apple tv update, and iTunes update. Have been reading about others having problems after last iTunes update.
All movies done through handbrake apple tv3 setting. Also iPad setting does same thing.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Not weak network,
Other movies have worked before and no issues. This happened after last apple tv update, and iTunes update. Have been reading about others having problems after last iTunes update.
All movies done through handbrake apple tv3 setting. Also iPad setting does same thing.
Well, you seemed to have all the bases covered! Just as a shot, do you have HB web optimize the files? If not, you can take one that has been transcoded and optimize it with Subler. Yes, it's probably update related but for 5 minutes worth of work, it would be interesting to see if optimization helps. I have done both the aTV and iTunes updates and everything has been running fine.

Garthilk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Well, if I hit play from the apple tv it loads forever.

If I hit play in Itunes and tell it to play on Apple TV it doesn't take longer than 3 seconds to load using the same wired connection.

So it's not a wifi issue.

capt601

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I just spent some time downgrading from the lates apple tv update 5.1 To 5.0.2,
And iTunes from 10.7 to 10.6.3. And didn't appear to be a difference after the 5.1 to 5.0.2 apple tv update. But after downgrading to 10.6.3 everything has worked normal again, so far.
I have read many other reports of people having to do the same thing and it working for them. It was a pain to do the iTunes downgrade but it worked in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.