Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
In regards to the original question... I use my iPad for school daily. I have a couple textbooks I purchased through the app "Kno" and another I purchased for the kindle app. Plus every book I've had to read has been available on iBooks or kindle. That saves a lot of money in the long run, the downside is you can't return the textbooks for cash, but my school updates so quickly that's usually not an option even with real textbooks.

I use pages (both on my macbook and my iPad) for all of my papers. I also use the blackboard app all the time. Not sure if your school uses blackboard but if so, their mobile app is pretty good. Not a full on substitute but it's good.

Other than that, it's just a easy and super portable way to have access to the internet, which is every students best friend and worst enemy.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Holy ******, sorry for doubting the notes part. What app did you use to take those notes??? And what stylus?

Agreed! Didn't know it was possible to take such clean notes on an iPad. I tried a Targus stylus with a few apps when the iPad first came out, and my notes looked like they were written by a toddler.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Holy ******, sorry for doubting the notes part. What app did you use to take those notes??? And what stylus?

First, I convert everything to PDF using whatever program opens the doc i.e. in a PowerPoint presentation, I'll clean up any files necessary (some professors really suck a making PowerPoints) and convert them to PDF by going to >File>Save As...>PDF. I save the PDF to my Dropbox folder (and usually delete the PowerPoint), and open PDF Expert on my iPad Mini. I set PDF Expert to sync with certain folders on my Dropbox account, so the file I want will be located on my Mini almost instantly (depending on file size). Then it's as simple as opening the PDF, marking it up, and syncing it when done.

As for styli, I chose the new Adonit Jot Pro with the sound dampening tip. It's great for taking notes- but probably not that great for painting. It's almost like writing with an actual pen! If you decide to go this route though, make sure you buy a static cling screen protector (I bought a cheap pack of 3) to protect your screen, as particles between the screen and styli could scratch the outer oleophobic coating that Apple puts on their idevices.

I couldn't be happier with switching to a fully electronic setup. At some point in time, I'll prolly even leave my MBP at home- and just head to lecture with my Mini and my Jot Pro.I love being able to have my notes in front of me on my Mini, quickly switch to my textbook (all on my Mini as well), open a textbook page, copy it, and then place it inside my class note document! It's seriously crazy how much more versatile the Mini is than conventional note taking.

A caveat though- it did take me a week or two to get used to writing all things on PDFs and making my student life fully electronic. But with a little practice- and let's face it, you'll have a TON of practice since you're constantly taking notes in class- you'll get the hang of it.

So there it is! Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!:D

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
First, I convert everything to PDF using whatever program opens the doc i.e. in a PowerPoint presentation, I'll clean up any files necessary (some professors really suck a making PowerPoints) and convert them to PDF by going to >File>Save As...>PDF. I save the PDF to my Dropbox folder (and usually delete the PowerPoint), and open PDF Expert on my iPad Mini. I set PDF Expert to sync with certain folders on my Dropbox account, so the file I want will be located on my Mini almost instantly (depending on file size). Then it's as simple as opening the PDF, marking it up, and syncing it when done.

As for styli, I chose the new Adonit Jot Pro with the sound dampening tip. It's great for taking notes- but probably not that great for painting. It's almost like writing with an actual pen! If you decide to go this route though, make sure you buy a static cling screen protector (I bought a cheap pack of 3) to protect your screen, as particles between the screen and styli could scratch the outer oleophobic coating that Apple puts on their idevices.

I couldn't be happier with switching to a fully electronic setup. At some point in time, I'll prolly even leave my MBP at home- and just head to lecture with my Mini and my Jot Pro.I love being able to have my notes in front of me on my Mini, quickly switch to my textbook (all on my Mini as well), open a textbook page, copy it, and then place it inside my class note document! It's seriously crazy how much more versatile the Mini is than conventional note taking.

A caveat though- it did take me a week or two to get used to writing all things on PDFs and making my student life fully electronic. But with a little practice- and let's face it, you'll have a TON of practice since you're constantly taking notes in class- you'll get the hang of it.

So there it is! Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!:D

Nice nice. I have a Bamboo Duo right now and I might buy the firm replacement tips to make it feel like an actual pen is being used. I'm not a fan of the squishy feel it has now.

Also how do you take notes? So you hold the iPad with one hand and write with another or have a case that props it up?

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Nice nice. I have a Bamboo Duo right now and I might buy the firm replacement tips to make it feel like an actual pen is being used. I'm not a fan of the squishy feel it has now.

Also how do you take notes? So you hold the iPad with one hand and write with another or have a case that props it up?

Nope- I do it the old fashioned way- hunched over. lol I write on it just like a notebook- feels natural. No case either, although I may get a TPU case from monoprice or something- haven't yet though.:)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Nope- I do it the old fashioned way- hunched over. lol I write on it just like a notebook- feels natural. No case either, although I may get a TPU case from monoprice or something- haven't yet though.:)

I got a versacover for it just today. Hopefully it will be nice.

Also, I just used the Mini for the first time in class today. Very convenient opening the powerpoint and taking notes right on the screen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.