Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
hey there,

does anyone here know if the iPad 4 can play handle full 1080p video (ie smooth playback) on apps such Oplayer HD and AV player?

i know that my last ipad 2 struggled abit with uncompressed video but the iPad 4 should be 4 times more powerfull riiight?

i know this is a longshot but hopefully there are some users of those apps.

thanks

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I've played 1080p movies from the "Videos" app that are shared from my iTunes library. Have not experienced any stuttering. These are certainly not uncompressed versions, as a bluray rip usually gets crammed down to about 4-6 gb using handbrake before adding to iTunes.

Unfortunately I can't comment on third party video players or various other codecs/containers on the iPad.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
My experiences with third party video player is that they might be able to play almost all kind of files but the quality seems to be different from what i see in my own laptop. I dont know if its the software thing or not.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
If you use the iPod plugin to play the 1080p mp4 it will use hardware acceleration to play your video. My iPad 2 played 720p fine but can't play 1080p without stutter.

Also, iPad 2 will have issues trying to AirPlay even 720p encoded mp4 videos using the ffmpeg it just can't decode and stream at the same time without frame rate issues.

An example would be the 4-6GB mp4 file sitting on an smb server and u use goodplayer to stream it and then use the iPod plugin to decode it, it won't play without stuttering bad on the atv2 or atv3

On an iPad 4, this is possible because the wifi is more than double that of the iPad 2. On wifi N 5GHz you can get max 150Mb/s. combined with the iPad 4 GPU, it can handle 1080p just fine.

The ffmpeg won't give you hardware acceleration benefits (mainly battery saving performance) compared to the native iPod mp4 plugin!

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I do need to add that although I have no problems playing back 1080 and 720 BluRay rips on the iPad, it does take an irritating amount of time to populate my iTunes homesharing library from the Videos app on the iPad 4. The iTunes server is a quad core 3.3 i7 so it's certainly not the host computer's fault.

Currently 508 movies (most are SD) and about 130 tv episodes (all SD). Even before I used MetaX to tag them all with cover art, it still took up to 3 minutes each time I opened the app and connected to the library (in which all you can do is stare at the little circle icon as it slowly progresses). Sure glad it doesn't cache this poorly on the ATV.

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
If you use the iPod plugin to play the 1080p mp4 it will use hardware acceleration to play your video. My iPad 2 played 720p fine but can't play 1080p without stutter.

Also, iPad 2 will have issues trying to AirPlay even 720p encoded mp4 videos using the ffmpeg it just can't decode and stream at the same time without frame rate issues.

An example would be the 4-6GB mp4 file sitting on an smb server and u use goodplayer to stream it and then use the iPod plugin to decode it, it won't play without stuttering bad on the atv2 or atv3

On an iPad 4, this is possible because the wifi is more than double that of the iPad 2. On wifi N 5GHz you can get max 150Mb/s. combined with the iPad 4 GPU, it can handle 1080p just fine.

The ffmpeg won't give you hardware acceleration benefits (mainly battery saving performance) compared to the native iPod mp4 plugin!
The iPad 2 wireless isn't N 5ghz ?!

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
The iPad 2 wireless isn't N 5ghz ?!

yup, thats true, i think he/she was referring to the iPad 4's wifi.

thanks for all the answers, im not interested in streaming as my router is a piece of **** bt homehub and i drag and drop my movies via itunes.

its looks like the iPad 4's cpu and gpu will handle most things but it looks like the best way to find out is go and buy. tomorrow afternoob. london regents street. sorted.

----------

ohh one more thing; do these third party apps have access to hardware accerlation? can they use all of ipads cores, be it cpu or gpu, to play a movie or are they limited by apples restrictions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.