Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
cappers
macrumors member

When does an iPhone update its data

Does the iPhone update when it is asleep?
Only I have installed a data counter and whenever i wake my phone from sleep, the data shows as being used at that particular time. 'My data Mngr' shows the time down to an hour how much data used in a day, but always seems to show when it wakes even if it has been asleep for a few hours.
Im sure it is not just updating when I wake it, but does anyone know how it works regardaing updating generally. Is at always 'alive'.
Can it be controlled when asleep?
In theory, if left on at night and asleep all night (phone not me), is it using data throughout the night?
Always wondered how it worked. Is it the same for Ipad (I assume so)
Anyone know conclusively?
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
I have no definitive answers for you, but I know what happens with my phone nightly. I have a clock with weather so it updates routinely while I sleep. GPS info, etc. iCloud also tends to run a backup some time around 1am every night so there's that.

Push email, notifications, etc. So, my phone is always active when I sleep. But, my old WinMo phone was the same way so it's something that doesn't bother me. But I have an unlimited data plan and my phone is usually on the home WiFi, so no big deal.

If it bothers you you can turn off cellular (and WiFI) data.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:40 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

It will definitely use data through the night -- particularly if you're using anything push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappers View Post
Can it be controlled when asleep?
Sure, disable data, toggle airplane mode, etc. Why are you worried about it? Let it do it's thing as designed.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:40 AM   #4
cappers
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
It will definitely use data through the night -- particularly if you're using anything push.

Sure, disable data, toggle airplane mode, etc. Why are you worried about it? Let it do it's thing as designed.
Since upgraded to iPhone 5, seem to be using a lot more data but not usuing it any differently
cappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone