Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
dmw16
macrumors regular

Samsung 830 or Crucial M4?

I am going to be replacing the drive in my 2011 iMac with an SSD. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4 (both 256GB).

The Samsung is about $40 more than the Crucial. I am not worried about the money unless the M4 is every possible way just as good or better than the Samsung.

I had originally planned on the Samsung because Apple uses Samsung SSD's in their computers and I figured that was the best way to go. But then I read depending on which firmware version of the 830 I get I may not get the best performance.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Greencardman
macrumors 6502

I just put a Samsung 830 120GB in a MacBook Pro and it worked like a charm. I would watch Newegg like a hawk this week and I'm sure one of those drives you're after might go on sale again. You can set up watchlists too if there is a specific model you're after.
Greencardman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

I've previously put a Crucial M4 into a Mac Mini and, two days ago, a Samsung 830 into my iMac. I bought the Crucial M4 solely based on the price as it was the cheapest quality SSD in UK-Amazon. I've had no problems with it. Truth be told, I've read so much more mixed comments about the M4 firmwares and even after a period of reading wasn't sure which firmware is the best.

The reason I chose Samsung 830 was because so many people are raving about its speed, reliability and the fact that, unlike Crucial, Samsung builds
its own SSDs. Moreover, I think Apple uses Samsung 830 SSDs. You do have to update these using Windows but mine came with the latest firmware (and I do use Windows via Boot Camp). One thing to bare in mind though is that these Samsung SSDs are extra-thin (thinner then M4 I believe). I paired the Samsung with an all-metal SSD SATA converter by Ice Dock.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a

I've used Samsung 830's in Macbook Pros and they worked perfectly.
jimbo1mcm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
wjlee91
macrumors member

Macmall has a great deal on the samsung 830 256gb until the 24th
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman82 View Post
I've previously put a Crucial M4 into a Mac Mini and, two days ago, a Samsung 830 into my iMac. I bought the Crucial M4 solely based on the price as it was the cheapest quality SSD in UK-Amazon. I've had no problems with it. Truth be told, I've read so much more mixed comments about the M4 firmwares and even after a period of reading wasn't sure which firmware is the best.

The reason I chose Samsung 830 was because so many people are raving about its speed, reliability and the fact that, unlike Crucial, Samsung builds
its own SSDs. Moreover, I think Apple uses Samsung 830 SSDs. You do have to update these using Windows but mine came with the latest firmware (and I do use Windows via Boot Camp). One thing to bare in mind though is that these Samsung SSDs are extra-thin (thinner then M4 I believe). I paired the Samsung with an all-metal SSD SATA converter by Ice Dock.
Thanks for all of that. So will I need to flash the firmware? What happens if I don't? I don't really have easy access to a windows machine.

Or will I likely get the latest firmware?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
Thanks for all of that. So will I need to flash the firmware? What happens if I don't? I don't really have easy access to a windows machine.

Or will I likely get the latest firmware?
I think you will likely get the latest firmware.

Samsung's Magician software is used to flash the firmware and it is only Windows-compatible.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think you will likely get the latest firmware.

Samsung's Magician software is used to flash the firmware and it is only Windows-compatible.
Will I be able to tell when I put it in my computer?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Crucial, (Micron), does build its own SSDs. Crucial is the consumer products arm of Micron. Micron and Intel jointly own IM Flash Technologies, which manufactures the NAND flash chips for both companies, at plants in Utah and Singapore.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:34 PM   #10
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular

Very happy with M4 in my 2008 MacBook Pro. Breathed new life into the aging laptop. Running great for months without a hitch.
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Tigerman82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
Will I be able to tell when I put it in my computer?
I'm not entirely sure since I didn't check my Samsung 830 but the firmware version it has should be printed on the drive or on somewhere of what came with the drive.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac