Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
biosci
macrumors 6502

Is it possible for airport extremes to just 'go bad'?

We've had a great setup for a long time with our extremes and expresses... But lately, the connections haven't been so hot and the wireless ranges have seemed to drop a bunch. Just wondering if this does happen from time to time due to aging hardware or the like. The wireless is still present but just as you move away from the original source, it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Any ideas?

Thanks in adv!
Mike
biosci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:10 AM   #2
glitch44
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
We've had a great setup for a long time with our extremes and expresses... But lately, the connections haven't been so hot and the wireless ranges have seemed to drop a bunch. Just wondering if this does happen from time to time due to aging hardware or the like. The wireless is still present but just as you move away from the original source, it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Any ideas?

Thanks in adv!
Mike
I'd expect it to completely fail instead of getting worse. If it's getting worse, I'd wager it's from some new source of interference (cordless phone, baby monitor, etc). Try changing the channel of your network in the Network Utility.
glitch44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
smoge
macrumors regular

I would change your wifi channel, download an app like inSSIDer from the mac app store.

(https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inss...ign-mpt=uo%3D4)

Scan the wifi networks around you and see if there are any other networks on the same channel as your network.
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:43 PM   #4
RexTraverse
macrumors 6502

Agree with the guys above that it may just be interference and try changing the channel. It may even be some new neighbors installing Wi-Fi or other devices and the local wireless being clogged. If you have a newer AEBS, are you still transmitting on 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both? Try switching bands - 5GHz tends to be slightly less congested because fewer people are using it.

I have both my modem and AEBS on battery backup and the wireless connection speeds when there's a neighborhood blackout... the difference is very noticeable.
RexTraverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals