Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
wrestler9111
macrumors newbie

Increased Airplay Support for Older Macs (iTunes 11)

I recently downloaded the new iTunes update, and I have to say I love it. One of my favorite features is the Airplay icon which allows me to play my iTunes library as well as any videos in my library on my Apple TV. I know my library was accessible before from Apple TV, but having being able to play from my iTunes is an awesome feature. Right now I'm even watching a movie I downloaded and added to the "Home Videos" section.

My question is this: will further Airplay advancements be made on other Mac applications? Everything I've heard before indicated that the lack of Airplay support for older Macs was a hardware issue. However, iTunes now allows my 2008 Macbook to play music, videos, and other files over my Apple TV. It makes me wonder if there is a possibility of Airplay availability from other apps like Safari/Firefox/Chrome, Quicktime, or games.

EDIT: First newb post, so let me know if I've posted this in the wrong place.
wrestler9111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #2
zhenya
macrumors 68020

There is a difference between using Airplay to send iTunes compatible video files to the AppleTV and the screen mirroring technology that is in fact hardware limited on older machines. I believe that what you are using today is in fact sending the files off to the ATV in order to be decoded there, so the experience should be very good. For Airplay Mirroring the host computer must do extensive computation to compress the entire live screen and transmit it over the network - far more intensive computationally and for the network.

Tl;Dr: No
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store