Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Grand Central Terminal Store Digital Signage Removed Ahead of December 9th Opening

Less than two weeks ago, Apple revealed digital flip-style signage outside its forthcoming retail store in Manhattan's historic Grand Central Terminal. The signage consisted of 58 separate display panels showing a rotating group of messages regarding the store's grand opening, which is scheduled for this Friday, December 9th.

With the opening just three days away and a closed event for the media scheduled for tomorrow, techfootnote reveals that Apple has now removed the signage and begun disassembling the black construction barrier that had blocked the main stairway entrance to the store. The store's entrance and views onto the balconies remain obscured by black curtains, which can be quickly and easily removed ahead of the store's opening.

Apple has posted information on the store, noting that the location will offer a relatively early opening time of 7:00 AM on weekdays in order to accommodate the needs of commuters utilizing the terminal.

Article Link: Grand Central Terminal Store Digital Signage Removed Ahead of December 9th Opening
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:05 AM   #2
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
It's very like Apple to setup a special sign teasing the opening of the store for a few days and then taking it down a few days later. But the sign did serve it's purpose! (Unless they plan to put it back up, but I doubt it.)
LimeiBook86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:15 AM   #3
mec31
macrumors newbie

"Using" the store, or "visiting" the store. Not "utilizing".
mec31 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Dan Forsley
macrumors newbie

Everything Apple does leans toward the cryptic.

It's in the very DNA of the company.

I'd say it still works for them.

Dan
Dan Forsley is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:17 AM   #5
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I sometimes wonder what happens to some of Apple's toys. Like this digital sign, for example.

Where is it now?

I almost feel like if one raided the basement of their NC datacenter they'd find something like the infamous scene from Indiana Jones:

ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
weckart
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I sometimes wonder what happens to some of Apple's toys. Like this digital sign, for example.

Where is it now?
Probably gone back to the outfit Apple hired it from. There are companies that deal with exhibition signage. No need for Apple to accumulate more junk for occasional use.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:10 PM   #7
sevoneone
macrumors member

I haven't been able to find any high enough resolution or close enough photos of the sign, but I assume, from the size and how deep the blacks are around each character of the sign, that it was made out of an array of Apple 27" Displays.

Apple hardly ever uses signage or displays from 3rd parties to promote their product. The big iPhone 3GS window displays that featured app store apps were 30" cinema displays built into a custom housing with a MacPro laying on it's side in the base.

The "Live from the App Store" Installation piece that they had at WWDC a couple years back was also an array of 20 apple displays.

The only thing I ever saw in an apple store that wasn't apple branded and used as digital signage were the displays above the genius bar.

It was probably dismantled and each display repurposed, or stored for the next time they need to assemble a big array.
sevoneone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Gavin88
macrumors newbie

Its interesting signage, how i can see this digital flip style apple signage.

Last edited by Gavin88; Dec 19, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Gavin88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion