Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Arnezie
macrumors 65816
 
Arnezie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Where is the cheapest place to buy AppleCare

Where is the cheapest place to buy Apple care for MacBook Pro retina? I found it for as low as $244 is that the best deal I can get anyone got it cheaper??
__________________
15 RETINA 2.6 16GB 256 , iPhone 5s , IPad 2 ATT 64GB
Arnezie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
jasphair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Seconded... from Canada.

The cheapest I've found is the US Education store, but not sure i can buy it from there and tie it to a Canadian MacBook's serial #.

The rMBP's AppleCare is crazy expensive, but certainly cheaper than paying repairs out of pocket. There's not a lot of disassembly you can do with these new units I hear.
jasphair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
B&H usually has good prices on AppleCare.
KPOM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816
 
sweetbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Redford, MI
I got my Applecare through B&H. They usually have some of the best prices around and they're well-known and reputable.
sweetbrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Project538
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
The cheapest is technically found in the U.S. education store. With the education discount it's $239, but that's not much cheaper than B&H's price of $244 anyway, so if you can't get the education discount your best bet would be to buy it from B&H.
__________________
Twitter: @Project538
 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2012), iPad 2 (16GB Wi-Fi), 6th generation iPod nano (8GB), 5th generation iPod touch (32GB)
Project538 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Geoffre
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Not sure if this pricing is still valid, but until last week at least B&H's Applecare price was half off when it was purchased at the same time as the computer. So I got Applecare on my machine for something like $122. If anyone else is in the market, this is pretty much an unbeatable deal (even taking refurbs into account, assuming you live in a state where you can evade sales tax on a purchase from B&H).
Geoffre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:02 PM   #7
MikesGravity
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project538 View Post
The cheapest is technically found in the U.S. education store. With the education discount it's $239, but that's not much cheaper than B&H's price of $244 anyway, so if you can't get the education discount your best bet would be to buy it from B&H.
If you have a pulse, you can get the education discount.

Nice tidbit I just noticed, when you buy applecare for a Macbook Pro - it INCLUDES coverage for your Apple Airport Extreme and USB Superdrive (which I have both)
__________________
15" Retina Macbook Pro
Airport Extreme / 2x AppleTV / iPod Classic 80GB
iPhone 5 AT&T 32GB
MikesGravity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
KPOM
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffre View Post
Not sure if this pricing is still valid, but until last week at least B&H's Applecare price was half off when it was purchased at the same time as the computer. So I got Applecare on my machine for something like $122. If anyone else is in the market, this is pretty much an unbeatable deal (even taking refurbs into account, assuming you live in a state where you can evade sales tax on a purchase from B&H).
I don't know if that particular deal is still in place, but for select machines they do have some bundles through the AppleInsider link that have deeply discounted AppleCare plans.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Geoffre
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I don't know if that particular deal is still in place, but for select machines they do have some bundles through the AppleInsider link that have deeply discounted AppleCare plans.
FWIW, for the particular discount I received, it was not necessary to go through AppleInsider -- though I wish I had known about their price matrix while I was shopping! Luckily for this blind squirrel, I did happen to come across the best available nut, but AI would have made it a lot easier.

Even though the refurbs first appeared during the week my order was being processed/shipped, I still feel like I came out ahead getting a 2.6/8GB/512GB for $2599 + $122 for Applecare.
Geoffre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:00 AM   #10
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030
 
yusukeaoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
I believe B&H is the cheapest.
I got 100 dollars off on my 17in AC.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), 2.2GHz i7-2720QM, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD@5400rpm
11" MacBook Air (Mid 2013), 1.7GHz i7-4650U, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash
Sony Xperia Z1 (Purple) 32GB
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:08 AM   #11
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
B&H has the best for AppleCare right now. Even looking at the Apple Store (with Education discount).
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:09 AM   #12
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I've had good luck with eBay but for obvious reasons it may be less desirable an avenue.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Azzin
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesGravity View Post
If you have a pulse, you can get the education discount.

Nice tidbit I just noticed, when you buy applecare for a Macbook Pro - it INCLUDES coverage for your Apple Airport Extreme and USB Superdrive (which I have both)
In the UK at least, it also includes any display that you bought with your MBP.

I'm going to put Applecare on my mid 2012 just before it hits 12 months, as I nabbed a Thunderbolt display at the same time, so I'll get them both covered for the remaining 2 years.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
If you're a student, check with your campus book/computer store. My university had special education pricing on software and hardware. I bought a 13" MBP right before I graduated last May - got $100 off the MBP itself, Applecare for a little over $150, and Office for Mac for $30.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:02 AM   #15
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
If you're a student, check with your campus book/computer store. My university had special education pricing on software and hardware. I bought a 13" MBP right before I graduated last May - got $100 off the MBP itself, Applecare for a little over $150, and Office for Mac for $30.
You know the standard education discount for MBP is $100 (at least). Then AppleCare discounts for education is $83 ($249 to $183) then $110 ($349 to $239) (13" then 15" respectively). Though the Office is a deal.
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:09 AM   #16
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
You know the standard education discount for MBP is $100 (at least). Then AppleCare discounts for education is $83 ($249 to $183) then $110 ($349 to $239) (13" then 15" respectively). Though the Office is a deal.
I wasn't aware of that. So you can get these prices directly from Apple? (Now that you mention it, my AppleCare was $183 - just couldn't remember exactly.)

Yeah, the Office was a great deal. I wouldn't have purchased it at full price, but it was cheaper than iWork; and LibreOffice, while great, doesn't always do the job.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:25 AM   #17
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
I wasn't aware of that. So you can get these prices directly from Apple? (Now that you mention it, my AppleCare was $183 - just couldn't remember exactly.)

Yeah, the Office was a great deal. I wouldn't have purchased it at full price, but it was cheaper than iWork; and LibreOffice, while great, doesn't always do the job.
Yup! (Education discounts~) I used to work for Apple so I have it memorized. When any authorized third party seller says they honor the education discount, they honor it because Apple helps protect the retailers margin as they want uniformity. Universities and other retailers don't want to lose potential customers if they couldn't honor this, nor does Apple as that loses another possible point of sale.

Though with Office did you only get one license? If so, it was still a decent deal (better than I seen anywhere else).

Though I did not know about B&H and they do have the best for AppleCare prices and the nice thing is you don't have to be a student. $179 for the MacBook, MBA, MBP 13" on it right now. I'll be going there to get my AppleCare from now on.
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:29 AM   #18
MICHAELSD
macrumors 68000
 
MICHAELSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
eBay has the best deals. Damn, now that I mentioned it on here... there go the great deals if I decide to get AppleCare .
__________________
Managing/designing the Showtime DEXTER prop store!
15" Retina MacBook Pro (2012 base)
32GB gold iPhone 5s - 16GB iPad Air
MICHAELSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:42 AM   #19
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
Yup! (Education discounts~) I used to work for Apple so I have it memorized. When any authorized third party seller says they honor the education discount, they honor it because Apple helps protect the retailers margin as they want uniformity. Universities and other retailers don't want to lose potential customers if they couldn't honor this, nor does Apple as that loses another possible point of sale.
Ah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing all you need for verification is an .edu address? If so, hopefully mine is still active in a few years when I buy my next Mac.

Quote:
Though with Office did you only get one license? If so, it was still a decent deal (better than I seen anywhere else).
It actually came with two licenses (well one key, but two activations). My girlfriend installed it on her Mac as well.

Quote:
Though I did not know about B&H and they do have the best for AppleCare prices and the nice thing is you don't have to be a student. $179 for the MacBook, MBA, MBP 13" on it right now. I'll be going there to get my AppleCare from now on.
I've never even heard of B&H until now, lol. Looking at their prices, I'll definitely buy from them in the future.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:02 AM   #20
kage207
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
Ah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing all you need for verification is an .edu address? If so, hopefully mine is still active in a few years when I buy my next Mac.
Actually Apple just assumes you are telling the truth because when you buy something from the education store, you may not use it as a tax write off for a business nor be using it for comercial purposes (though they really never check into it). They mainly use your name / info to check to make sure you haven't abused your education discount (meaning 1 Mac portable and one Mac desktop). There are some minor limits on the Apple Education discount which you can find on their site. My memory is a little fuzzy on the all ins and outs though I used to have that, AppleCare and some other things memorized (I wanted to make sure I gave customers the most advantage of all the services Apple provides because I read it all before buying my first Mac).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
It actually came with two licenses (well one key, but two activations). My girlfriend installed it on her Mac as well.
Interesting, I've never seen Microsoft do a 2 licenses. Though a really good deal.
__________________
MBA 13", i5 1.8GHz, 8GM RAM, 128GB SSD
These are amazing products that enrich our lives that we see as toys, remember that they are expensive and should be used as tools to reach our dreams~
kage207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:25 AM   #21
bobcan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasphair View Post
Seconded... from Canada...
Hello Canada..

FYI: If you are an eBay shopper and not in a hurry, keep an eye on Henry's Camera auctions, as they ARE legit Apple Sellers and I have bought my last 2x AppleCare kits from them.. and fairly cheaply, I recall about $220 CAN for my 2011 MBP..

Otherwise, I also suggest B&H as always are good to me as well!!
__________________
bw
bobcan is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheapest place to buy 2013 Air new? BigB82 MacBook Air 4 Aug 19, 2013 09:33 AM
Cheapest place to buy an iPhone 5 Policar iPhone 9 Feb 17, 2013 06:10 PM
Cheapest place to buy iPhone 5? Atypical iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 7 Dec 31, 2012 07:12 PM
Cheapest place to buy a MBP ZakBrandonJake MacBook Pro 0 Dec 25, 2012 05:24 PM
Cheapest place to buy Windows 7? jgw1283 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Aug 23, 2012 09:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC