Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Okay so I've read a lot of stories of Macs just shutting them self down but never had an issue myself - until now.

I read that the main cause of this is the RAM. I've recently added 4GB to my existing factory 4GB and it's been running fine for a good 3 days. However today when streaming the football the iMac just shut itself down instantaneously. Does this mean I have faulty RAM?

Kinda worried as clearly the Mac shutting down in such a manner cannot be good for its health.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Was it this?
106227_3.jpg

If so, if it happens once, it is not a bad sign, it can happen, and it can be hardware (RAM) or software related.

Nov 28, 2010
located
OP, run Apple Hardware Test by holding the D key at start up.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If no errors show up you're good.

Simsaladimbamba, I'm pretty sure he did not see that, he said instantaneously which indicated a hard shut down.
If it was what you showed you have to manually shut it down, it even tells you to do so in the Dialogue box.

Right, forgot that, but it was worth a try, and sometimes there are just circumstances, where, you know, that thing gets out of hand, and nothing gets told as it happened, and yeah, loss of memories and such ****.

Zav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
OP, run Apple Hardware Test by holding the D key at start up.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If no errors show up you're good.

Simsaladimbamba, I'm pretty sure he did not see that, he said instantaneously which indicated a hard shut down.
If it was what you showed you have to manually shut it down, it even tells you to do so in the Dialogue box.

Okay, so I've tried doing this over 5 times now and the best I get is an extended boot time. I get the grey screen and its takes a good 30 seconds before the Apple sign comes up and then the usual boot procedure follows.

And no, I didn't get that screen Sims. Thanks for replying though! :D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Okay, so I've tried doing this over 5 times now and the best I get is an extended boot time. I get the grey screen and its takes a good 30 seconds before the Apple sign comes up and then the usual boot procedure follows.

And no, I didn't get that screen Sims. Thanks for replying though! :D

So, it did not work, you could not get into AHT?

How old is the mac, year and model, if you hold Option at start up what do you see?

Zav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
So, it did not work, you could not get into AHT?

How old is the mac, year and model, if you hold Option at start up what do you see?

No it failed to boot the hardware test. Its a 2011 Core i5 iMac. Pressing prompt keys at boot don't seem to work with it, maybe its highly stubborn? :rolleyes:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No it failed to boot the hardware test. Its a 2011 Core i5 iMac. Pressing prompt keys at boot don't seem to work with it, maybe its highly stubborn? :rolleyes:

Is this with a wireless keyboard, if so connect a wired one and try again.(If you have one)

An SMC reset might also help.

Resetting the System Management Controller - Support - Apple

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.