Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Buy iPad 4th gen now or wait?

With the iPad 5th rumors generating, and me still using my iPad 3, should I jump to the 4? I'm thinking about resale value NOW instead of what it would drop to once the iPad 5th is released. If the iPad 5 is any good, I can always just sell the 4th gen for the 5th gen. Thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
irDigital0l

What's wrong with your iPad 3 that you would like to upgrade it?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Hungry&Foolish
In Time-Out

He is concerned about iPad 3 resale value once iPad 5 comes out.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

No.

iPad 3 -upgrade/depreciation fee-> iPad 4 -upgrade/depreciation fee-> iPad 5

iPad 3 -upgrade/depreciation fee-> iPad 5

You upgrading to an iPad 4 is not locking down value. The iPad 4 will also depreciate value. and the rate of depreciation happens most quickly right after you buy it (see value of brand new condition iPad 4 vs. value of iPad 4 in stores)

I don't suspect that you will lose as much value in your current iPad 3 in the time between now and when the iPad 5 comes out as the value that an iPad 4 will lose between now and that same iPad 5 date.

If you want to lock value, sell your ipad, wait.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Zav
macrumors member

Just enjoy your product? Why are you worrying about a product that isn't even out yet? The new iPad might not even have a new form factor, and even if it does, the general experience compared to your iPad will not change. It will still be the beautiful retina display and the same iOS. I'd understand if you had an iPad 2 with that dated display, but the iPad 3 is still awesome and still has a few years left at being near the cream of the crop.

Zav is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
roytherock123
macrumors newbie

I think u shouldn't. Becuz, basically ipad 4 is'nt different from 3. You need lightning connector or chip A6X or antenna dual band ? I think you don't. Ipad 3 can do very well everything ipad 4 can. So , why do you have to upgrage ???
I say that but it's up to you.
Have fun with your choice
roytherock123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Wait till iPad 12. I hear it will be "magical".
Thunderbird is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:45 AM   #8
augustya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zav View Post
Just enjoy your product? Why are you worrying about a product that isn't even out yet? The new iPad might not even have a new form factor, and even if it does, the general experience compared to your iPad will not change. It will still be the beautiful retina display and the same iOS. I'd understand if you had an iPad 2 with that dated display, but the iPad 3 is still awesome and still has a few years left at being near the cream of the crop.
Please dont blame the consumer for having this expectation...It is Apple who has spoiled this habit of a consumer...Though in a Healthy way... Had there not been a New iPad every year...People would have not kept talking about this.
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zav View Post
Isn't it pretty obvious that it will have a new form factor? I can't wait to hear the moaning of iPad 3 (but more likely 4) owners about the new form, feeling ripped off etc. Those products look dated now, imagine when the iPad 5 comes! Bring it on, the sooner the better! The iPad 3 was like an experiment, the 4 just fixed the glitchiness but not the weight, size or heat issues. No real progress at all - this one should make quite a splash akin to the Mini.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:28 AM   #10
washburn
macrumors 6502

man I wish the 5 came out sooner than later
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

The iPad 5 would probably release in june or fall since apple introduce 128 GB earlier this month.

just like apple introduce cdma iphone 4 in february and delay the usual june iphone announcement to october.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:09 AM   #12
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Each iPad is better than the previous gen. Apple's marketing job is to make you beLIEve that you need to have the new one because it is better. While it is better, you don't need it. In my opinion - specifically on where Apple is right now regarding os development (stagnant) I would wait until the 5 comes out and buy the 4. Best value. If you want the latest and greatest and want that perceived buffer zone of having the latest tech for the longest amount of time then you need to pay full price on launch day. No need to contemplate further.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:22 AM   #13
vazquez1085
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
man I wish the 5 came out sooner than later
same here bro..just sold my 3 yest bc i felt like if the 5 came out in march/april i wouldnt have gotten as much $ lol
vazquez1085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:50 AM   #14
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I did the same: just sold my 3 and picked up a 4 open box

I'm a best buy rewardzone member so I have 60-day return policy in case something tempting crops up.

Somehow I don't feel like we'll see any more pads until mid summer at the earliest.

Even then not sure ill be too interested.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Zav
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Isn't it pretty obvious that it will have a new form factor? I can't wait to hear the moaning of iPad 3 (but more likely 4) owners about the new form, feeling ripped off etc. Those products look dated now, imagine when the iPad 5 comes! Bring it on, the sooner the better! The iPad 3 was like an experiment, the 4 just fixed the glitchiness but not the weight, size or heat issues. No real progress at all - this one should make quite a splash akin to the Mini.
Yes perhaps it is obvious, but the main point I'm making wasn't whether there would be or not. If there's a new form factor, it isn't going to render all the current iPads useless. The iPad 2, 3 and 4 will still be a great products. It's sad that people don't get time to enjoy their products just because they worry about being outdated. It's Apples philosophy to update each year, but it doesn't have to be the consumers, and I feel it shouldn't be unless its truly necessary.

Zav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:55 PM   #16
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

The cost of the iPad 3 is already horrible. Just keep it until you feel that it's not meeting your requirements. The iPad 3 was a must because of the new retina. The 4 is performance that only certain applications benefit from. But for most tasks the iPad 3 will be just fine for at least another year or so.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad