Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
For no apparent reason, my iPhone5 speakers don't speak anymore.

I am < 36 hours from leaving on a trip across the pond, so I can't do a hard reset to see if that works.

Has this happened to you, and how did you fix it?

I think this is software, not hardware, because every once in a while, they make a noise, like for an Alarm. Then, nothing.

I really need my iPhone speakers to work because this is still my main phone number. (I did need to get a Galaxy Note II to have native Google Maps - and they are beautiful on the Note II. iOS 6 Maps put my hotel on the wrong side of the river in Prague, and given that it will be 20 degrees F outside and snowing, I don't want any navigation misadventures. However, I have NOT given out that phone number to anyone who will be trying to reach me on this trip.)

Any tips?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
For no apparent reason, my iPhone5 speakers don't speak anymore.

I am < 36 hours from leaving on a trip across the pond, so I can't do a hard reset to see if that works.

Has this happened to you, and how did you fix it?

I think this is software, not hardware, because every once in a while, they make a noise, like for an Alarm. Then, nothing.

I really need my iPhone speakers to work because this is still my main phone number. (I did need to get a Galaxy Note II to have native Google Maps - and they are beautiful on the Note II. iOS 6 Maps put my hotel on the wrong side of the river in Prague, and given that it will be 20 degrees F outside and snowing, I don't want any navigation misadventures. However, I have NOT given out that phone number to anyone who will be trying to reach me on this trip.)

Any tips?

Actually, you can do a reset since that only takes a minute or so. A restore would take longer but far less than 36 hours, meaning that, too, is an option.

As for tips, it'd be really helpful to know exactly what makes sound and what doesn't. Do all alarms make a sound? Have you checked your volume settings in Settings > Sounds?

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Actually, you can do a reset since that only takes a minute or so.
Does a reset delete any data or apps?

A restore would take longer but far less than 36 hours, meaning that, too, is an option.
Anything that would trigger the need for a Restore is not an option for me - the only time I desparately needed to do a restore, the restore failed. I was left with what looked like a brand new iPhone. Then I had 28gb full. Now I have 42gb full. Restore is just too risky.

re: which noises is it making

It's not consistent.
Ex: Once, I heard a calendar meeting noise, and thought it was back to working. Then nothing after that.

I've heard maybe 3 sounds total in the past 4 days.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Does a reset delete any data or apps?

No, no data is deleted.

Anything that would trigger the need for a Restore is not an option for me - the only time I desparately needed to do a restore, the restore failed. I was left with what looked like a brand new iPhone. Then I had 28gb full. Now I have 42gb full. Restore is just too risky.

re: which noises is it making

It's not consistent.
Ex: Once, I heard a calendar meeting noise, and thought it was back to working. Then nothing after that.

I've heard maybe 3 sounds total in the past 4 days.

Knowing what those 3 sounds were would be helpful but without that info (and even with it), puremeerkat's suggestion is worth confirming:

Is the mute switch on the left side of the phone on? Do you see the orange line?

Also, what hasn't made a sound that should have or that did previously?

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Is the mute switch on the left side of the phone on? Do you see the orange line?
Switch is up. Orange line is covered.

I've toggled it a couple of times and rebooted. (not reset yet...)

what hasn't made a sound that should have or that did previously?
Incoming phone calls are supposed to ring. They don't.

When I try to change my ringtone, I can't hear what the new ringtones sound like when I tap on the Play Preview button.

Alarm's no longer make sounds.

SMS text message no longer make sounds.

etc

(and all the setup is for them to make audio notification)

A person I rode with in the SuperShuttle said the same thing happened to her. She did a reset, and then it didn't seem like it worked. But then the next day her speaker seemed to work again.

But I'm too chicken to do a reset < 1 day from leaving.

If I forward my voice calls to my Samsung Galay Note 2 phone #, will that forward SMS text messages as well?

I changed the vibrate on the iPhone to the more hyperactive one, but I still doubt that I'd feel it under all the layers I'll have on while I try to not FREEZE to death!

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
And they launched native google maps today :p

Yay! Now everyone won't be as reliant on me for directions!

But... I don't see how I can do this.

If I can find "My Maps" or maybe "My Places" it would be in that vicinity of menu options... I need all the "My Maps" city placemarks that everyone has contributed to in the communal gmail account for the trip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.