Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilface

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So Hyundai has a specific cord they make on their own to hook up your iPod to play music in the car.. but the problem is it uses the old 30-pin plug, and I want to connect my iPhone 5.

Just wondering if anyone has tried using the lightning to 30-pin adapter, in the same or similliar type of situation? I don't need the adapter for any other reason than this, and I'd hate to spend $30 on something that won't even work.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
So Hyundai has a specific cord they make on their own to hook up your iPod to play music in the car.. but the problem is it uses the old 30-pin plug, and I want to connect my iPhone 5.

Just wondering if anyone has tried using the lightning to 30-pin adapter, in the same or similliar type of situation? I don't need the adapter for any other reason than this, and I'd hate to spend $30 on something that won't even work.

Yes it works. I am using it on my 2011 Hyundai Elantra like a charm

I opted for the $40 mini cable so I can hang my iPhone from my windshield during navigation too. the cord just barely reaches

lilface

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes it works. I am using it on my 2011 Hyundai Elantra like a charm

I opted for the $40 mini cable so I can hang my iPhone from my windshield during navigation too. the cord just barely reaches

Awesome! Thanks a bunch, and I'm thinking I like that mini cable idea too lol

The HACK

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
The Lightning cable works fine straight-up with my '13 Veloster Turbo. My wife's '11 Tucson requires the Lightning to 30-pin adapter to work.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I have a 2013 Elantra and my iPhone 5 works fine using the lightning adapter .

lilface

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a 2011 Sonata and the adapter works great! but I see myself using less and less of it because I like the bluetooth feature...no cables :)

Can you play music through the bluetooth? Ever since I switched phones I never connected my new phone to the bluetooth.. maybe I should lol.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Can you play music through the bluetooth? Ever since I switched phones I never connected my new phone to the bluetooth.. maybe I should lol.

Yup you can play music, the only thing is that you wont see the album name on the screen as you would if you would plug in the cable but I can just look down my phone and see what's playing no biggie and I can still use the controls on my steering wheel...

I have slingbox connected to my phone so sometimes when my husband and I go on long trips we turn on the slingbox on my phone, connect to the bluetooth on my car and we can watch and hear our tv in the car through the car speaker...great if you are traveling during football, you can hear the game through the speakers...

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
We just got a 2013 Kia (same parent company as Hyundai I beleive) with the UVO system. Both of our 5s work well with either bluetooth or with a normal :apple: USB to Lightning cable.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I had a 2012 Elantra and bought the Lightning adapter to use with the Hyundai cable. It worked great, steering wheel controls worked. I just got the new 2013 Elantra GT and when I first plugged it in with the adapter it didn't work. I tried the regular lightning cable and everything works again but the display is a little different. I'm putting both cables on ebay this weekend. According to the Hyundai manual, if you have the navigation screen you need the Hyundai cable, if you have the regular screen you don't.

diamondgrl1182

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
Iphone 5 and 2013 Hyundai Tucson

I just purchased the 2013 Hyundai Tucson and have an Iphone 5. Can anyone tell me if the lightening adaptor works with the Hyundai cable? I want to be sure I can use the steering wheel controls this way before I purchase the adaptor since I only need it for that.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I have a 2013 Elantra, and my iPhone 5 works perfectly with the lightning adapter.

Tomphila

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
2012 elantra

Mine was working fine with the lightning adapter. Then had a problem and bought a new cable and still didn't work. Bought a new adapter but wasn't from apple. Still had a problem. It charged fine but didnt work with the music. Bought another lightning adapter from apple this time and works fine. I don't suggest buying a cheaper adapter not made by apple.

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
The Lightning cable works fine straight-up with my '13 Veloster Turbo. My wife's '11 Tucson requires the Lightning to 30-pin adapter to work.

Did IOS 7 break your bluetooth? My wife just purchased a 2013 VT and if we don't turn off "download contacts" the system locks up. Hyundai is claiming is Ios related.

1957MHStone

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
So I just ran out and purchased an Apple Lighting to 30 pin connector and hooked it up to my 2011 Sonata (without Nav) iPod Adapter and my iPhone 5s works like a champ with respect to charging, playback, titles etc. The adapter is not compatible with the phone functions, but your bluetooth phone features will still work....

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Definitely. My last two cars have been Elantras and my last three phones have been iPhones. They work quite well together through bluetooth. You can listen to music, and make and receive hands-free calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.