Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riley41090

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I recently had my Macbook Air stolen and just got the replacement from my insurance... My old laptop was 2 months old and because i purchased it through Higher Education Discount i also got a 3 year extended Apple Care.

My question is, can i have this transferred to my new Macbook Air? it only has the one year standard warranty! I know it's linked to the serial number but it's a bit frustrating!

Thank you!

skittlescat

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Victoria
Stolen air

Yes, call AppleCare and explain your device was stolen and give them all the details of that device. The remaining AppleCare plus can then can be refunded to you or you can add that refund to a new apple care and pay the difference , which in turn starts your coverage anew for your new device.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Probably not - is it AppleCare or the 3 year HE warranty ?

The 3 year HE warranty cannot be transferred to a new machine but "proper" AppleCare can be........

nickjamesknight

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Probably not - is it AppleCare or the 3 year HE warranty ?

The 3 year HE warranty cannot be transferred to a new machine but "proper" AppleCare can be........

When I bought my MBA with the 3 year HE warranty you could buy Applecare for something like £48 so i'd suggest you ring Apple and ask them if you can buy it for that price on your replacement?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
It can be done with Applecare.
My first Mac Mini had an issue so I had it replaced, and they transferred my Applecare across over the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.