Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deanofmean1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and after a few days noticed what I thought was a dead pixel on the screen. After ringing apple
Care they advised me to return the item to where I bought it (Amazon) as the problem had occurred so soon.

I was happy with this but after an inspection from a friend I was informed the pixel wasn't dead but just stuck. I wasn't aware of this difference and was directed toward a widget which played fast moving colours over the stuck pixel to see if it fixed it. Thankfully after two attempts this worked and all was good. Now though in a different area of the screen an actual dead pixel has appeared. I tried the same thing as before to no avail. I was wondering if I took the MacBook to an Apple store would they repair it or say that i should have just swapped it with Amazon?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ian

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and after a few days noticed what I thought was a dead pixel on the screen. After ringing apple
Care they advised me to return the item to where I bought it (Amazon) as the problem had occurred so soon.

I was happy with this but after an inspection from a friend I was informed the pixel wasn't dead but just stuck. I wasn't aware of this difference and was directed toward a widget which played fast moving colours over the stuck pixel to see if it fixed it. Thankfully after two attempts this worked and all was good. Now though in a different area of the screen an actual dead pixel has appeared. I tried the same thing as before to no avail. I was wondering if I took the MacBook to an Apple store would they repair it or say that i should have just swapped it with Amazon?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ian

I would be very surprised if they didn't fix it. I would, however back up your data before you take your machine in. I recommend copying all the stuff you care about to a USB drive in addition to a Time Machine backup. Crashplan will do this for free. Carbon Copy Cloner can make a bootable image of your stuff.

Deanofmean1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for help guys!

Yeh I'm aware of their dead pixel policy. My main concern was that they might say "oh we told you to take it to amazon and because you haven't we won't repair it for you"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.