Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomcornall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

I'm working with Toast 11 and iMovie 11 on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

I've recorded some of our student shows on a JVC ProHD camera and wish to simply put these files into iMovie for editing. They display as .mov files in finder and play fine in Quicktime, however I'm not able to import them into iMovie (the files appearing grey).

I though a quick convert in Toast might remedy this but I get:

".MOV was not added because a required codec is missing (XDCAM EX 1080i50)"

I've had a go at searching for the missing codec online, but have become weighed down by much jargon! (I'm not familiar with a lot of the terms when it comes to video work)

All and any help would be great, I really need to get these shows sent off to an external examiner soon!

Nov 28, 2010
located
The .mov file is using a professional codec (XDCam), which iMovie does not recognise, as it is not made for that.
Either you go the route of purchasing (or using the trial) Final Cut Pro X, or you use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .mov files using the Batch List (CMD+B) to .mov files using the Apple Intermediate Codec.

The following should take care of using MPEG Streamclip, albeit for a DVD a source.

Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

thomcornall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Ahh, that's annoying.

The camera is a new one the university bought back in the summer. I'm not sure they'll give me the money to buy final cut.

Will give the Streamclip route a go. Thanks for your help (and the additional info - it'll give me something to read over lunch!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.