Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Ok, this is a tough one.

I have a 5 minute video that I want to send somebody, but the file is too large to send by email.

How do I send a video? Right now my video is sitting in my iPhoto.

Please advise.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
How large is it and what is its resolution?
Did you try Dropbox?

The file is 760 MB and I took it on my iPhone.

How do I use DropBox to send a photo? :confused:

----------

If quality loss is acceptable, do it over WhatsApp if possible. This is always my quickest way to send videos via iPhone.

I have never heard of WhatsApp. I will consider it, but I am leaning toward Dropbox.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
If quality loss is acceptable, do it over WhatsApp if possible. This is always my quickest way to send videos via iPhone.

WhatsApp, I'm pretty sure, only accepts videos up to 12MB.

So, you'll need to put up with a huge amount of quality loss if you're gonna do it over WhatsApp.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I recommend wetransfer - incredibly easy to use and no need for yourself or your recipient to install software. You can send up to 2Gb in one transfer. No limit on the number of transfers you do. All for free!

We use it all the time at work for sending video files and photos.

Dropbox is great too, but simply for sending a file it can't get any easier than wetransfer.

Thuc5dides

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
I send client previews via an "unlisted" youtube link, that works great. If transferring full res media I use Aspera Faspex, needs an account and plugin but well worth it if you are doing big file moves regularly.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
if you want to send it just for viewing i'd highly recommend, that you compress the video first. you can fit 5 minutes of fullhd video in 100mb and retain a pretty good quality - and then upload it to dropbox, google drive, .... only if it's for further editing, upload the original 760mb file.

if it's "only" a video of your kid, you're showing to your parents, you could even try reducing the resolution and get it below 20mb and send it via e-mail. try using different share/export settings in imovie.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
If it isn't that important, then you might as well directly upload to YouTube from your phone and set the video as 'unlisted' so that only people with the link can see.

That'll be the most simplest form, but not best in terms of quality.

Getitdone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
In addition to the YouTube and Dropbox suggestions above - both of which I have used, I would suggest the Web Albums app that works with Picasa. Once you upload your photos/videos you can email a link to people. So you need both a Picasa account and the Web Albums app (which I believe is free).

Note that people can download photos from albums that you send to them, but not videos. Videos are view only for now.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
DropBox is probably the easiest solution. Create and account for yourself, upload the video, send a link. The person receiving the link doesn't need to install DropBox to see the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.