Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:37 PM   #101
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Essentially this.

They are trying to close a loophole created by a new technology.

State and especially local governments have been hurting for years and could surely use the revenue.
As has the average citizen who has seen their retirement savings continually depleted, benefits cut back, rising prices, rising college costs if they have kids, and difficulty finding work and so on and so on.

I guess let's continue to squeeze blood from a turnip
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:24 PM   #102
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I guess let's continue to squeeze blood from a turnip
Sorry. Until someone implements a better system, the turnip will get squeezed.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #103
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post

The tendency to discuss everything in partisan terms really annoys me.
Sorry, I forgot this is the non-partisan politics, religion, and social issues group.

But, seriously, since you brought up California, clearly the California Board of Equalization wants you (since 1935 someone posted) to ante up if you buy something from a state with no sales tax. But, what happens if the tax where you bought it is 4.something percent? Do you owe the difference? What if the tax is more than the California's tax? Do they pay you? Do people from Massachusetts owe taxes on the liquor they buy right over the border in New Hampshire, or at the outlet stores in North Conway? The "mail order" or "internet" part is really a red herring. The "problem" has existed as long as state sales taxes have existed, but, it really isn't clear what the authority of one state is over commerce in another state unless the two states have some kind of reciprocal agreement.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:38 PM   #104
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Sorry, I forgot this is the non-partisan politics, religion, and social issues group.

But, seriously, since you brought up California, clearly the California Board of Equalization wants you (since 1935 someone posted) to ante up if you buy something from a state with no sales tax. But, what happens if the tax where you bought it is 4.something percent? Do you owe the difference? What if the tax is more than the California's tax? Do they pay you? Do people from Massachusetts owe taxes on the liquor they buy right over the border in New Hampshire, or at the outlet stores in North Conway? The "mail order" or "internet" part is really a red herring. The "problem" has existed as long as state sales taxes have existed, but, it really isn't clear what the authority of one state is over commerce in another state unless the two states have some kind of reciprocal agreement.
In Mass, in theory at least, you are supposed to pay any sales tax on items purchased elsewhere and online when you file your State Income Tax Forms..

Now, does anyone really do it...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:03 AM   #105
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesterWallaboo View Post
Amazon.com has already developed software they plan to sell to every small online business they can get their grubby little paws on. No wonder they are totally backing this internet tax idea.... it's a windfall and costs them practically nothing.
Amazon is behind this because they are building warehouses in states already to get their quick shipping features, they then have to charge sales tax. They want to take the thing that allowed them to grow to a multi billion dollar company over brick and mortar and crush it so that no one else gets a chance.
Zombie Acorn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:04 AM   #106
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
.......They want to take the thing that allowed them to grow to a multi billion dollar company over brick and mortar and crush it so that no one else gets a chance.
Natural evolution; adapt or die !
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:08 AM   #107
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Amazon is behind this because they are building warehouses in states already to get their quick shipping features, they then have to charge sales tax. They want to take the thing that allowed them to grow to a multi billion dollar company over brick and mortar and crush it so that no one else gets a chance.
Actually, Amazon is behind this because states have been pursuing them for unpaid sales and use taxes they should have been collecting based on the states' interpretation of their laws. Amazon has fought, but is beginning to lose those cases. If they are being forced to collect and remit sales taxes, they figure everyone should, otherwise they will lose their competitive advantage.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:21 AM   #108
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Actually, Amazon is behind this because states have been pursuing them for unpaid sales and use taxes they should have been collecting based on the states' interpretation of their laws. Amazon has fought, but is beginning to lose those cases. If they are being forced to collect and remit sales taxes, they figure everyone should, otherwise they will lose their competitive advantage.
Amazon should be collecting sales tax, they have buildings based in many of these states that are shipping goods. If the states are pursuing them that's a good thing.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of small business owners going under because of a complicated framework of laws dictating how sales tax is collected. That only helps companies like Amazon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
Natural evolution; adapt or die !
As long as you're fine with your choices being Walmart and Amazon.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:42 AM   #109
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
What I don't want to see is a bunch of small business owners going under because of a complicated framework of laws dictating how sales tax is collected. That only helps companies like Amazon.
Well, Amazon has created a system where small business owners can pay Amazon, and Amazon will manage the taxes for them. I'm sure others will come along. I mean, it really isn't a big issue. Even if there are 50,000 tax jurisdictions, if you know the zip code or address, a simple excel spreadsheet can give you the answers you need. Anyone on this site worth their salt could create an app or program that would solve this problem without any difficulty.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:52 AM   #110
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Well, Amazon has created a system where small business owners can pay Amazon, and Amazon will manage the taxes for them. I'm sure others will come along. I mean, it really isn't a big issue. Even if there are 50,000 tax jurisdictions, if you know the zip code or address, a simple excel spreadsheet can give you the answers you need. Anyone on this site worth their salt could create an app or program that would solve this problem without any difficulty.
I just saw that they are exempting companies with $1 million and below revenue, I don't see a problem with this in that case.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:03 AM   #111
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
I just saw that they are exempting companies with $1 million and below revenue, I don't see a problem with this in that case.
Even if they didn't, it's not that big of a deal. A simple, very simple, program added to the point of sale or register would be all that was needed.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:57 AM   #112
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

--

As long as you're fine with your choices being Walmart and Amazon.
The most effective way to help brick-and-mortar businesses would be to abolish sales tax. That would put 4-9% more purchasing power directly into in-person transactions. It would help poor people, who disproportionately pay sales tax. And it would help small business.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:19 AM   #113
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
The most effective way to help brick-and-mortar businesses would be to abolish sales tax. That would put 4-9% more purchasing power directly into in-person transactions. It would help poor people, who disproportionately pay sales tax. And it would help small business.
With state funded public services already on their last legs I don't think this is going to be put up for an option.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #114
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
With state funded public services already on their last legs I don't think this is going to be put up for an option.
I think income taxes are a better way to support state funded public services.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues