Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
OK, I don't wish to get bogged down in this, but your point has sublimated from 'most homes own an iPad' (stated twice) to 'most households in large cities have access to a computer of some sort'. Not a subtle difference, and entirely sidesteps the issue that the iPad is being used for specific education purposes that a home desktop PC shared with the rest of the family cannot meet.

Anyway moving on... meanwhile, in the UK:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/28/ipad-tablet-computer-school-parents

Not sure what you're getting at as I stand by both of my statements. I do believe that most homes (as in over 50%) have at least one iPad or tablet computer, especially in large, high-cost-of-living cities like LA and that, certainly almost ALL households in those places (probably in the 85-90%) range have some sort of computer. With this in mind, my point is that GIVING an iPad to students to keep - who likely already have an iPad or at least a computer - makes no sense, as they will be playing on the thing more than reading on it. I guess you don't remember what it's like being a kid with shiny new a toy in front of you -- not to mention a very expensive tax-payer funded toy. Now, purchasing iPads for technology courses that stay in the classroom and are used for specific assignments under the supervision of a teacher, for more than one year and thereby allowing an individual unit to be cycled through at least two students, is a different story, and a pretty good investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.