Retirment? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:54 PM   #26
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above seal level
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Take it from someone who didn't put enough away, and then lost whatever was stashed away in the crash of '08 - start putting money away NOW!!
So we too can lose whatever we stash away in the great depression of 2025?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:43 PM   #27
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020
 
sk1wbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Carolina
I retired at 38. Very nice. My monthly retirement check and disability payment come in handy.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:28 PM   #28
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Republic City, URN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Does anyone here never want to retire like I?

I cannot see myself never just stopping my career. There would be nothing to do, and its seems people who work even after retirement age seem to live longer and be healthier because they have a reason to wake up in the morning. I'm not saying any of this is fact but speculation on my part.
I agree, this is very important (having something to do everyday). I'm sure you'll find something. For example, I know a 94 year old WW2 veteran who volunteers at the hospital. He's a trooper and it's very encouraging.
__________________
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:15 PM   #29
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816
 
wvuwhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
All I know is that if/when I do retire I will be working as a golf course "starter" in a warmer climate until I die.
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:22 AM   #30
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
So we too can lose whatever we stash away in the great depression of 2025?
No problem if you stash it under your mattress.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:54 AM   #31
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
No problem if you stash it under your mattress.
If you're talking paper currency, you might be better with toilet paper.

A little lumpy, but easier on your ass than all those dyes.

Krugerrands might be a better choice. You can lay them flat, and acquire a goodly sum.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:45 AM   #32
bizzle
macrumors 6502a
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Always good to come to MR for thoughtful and well considered advice.
Just because my opinion is different than yours means its not thoughtful? I am sorry I didn't go on with a six paragraph tirade and got straight to the point.
__________________
get your own damn blood.

Last edited by bizzle; Nov 14, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
bizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:28 PM   #33
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Just because my opinion is different than yours means its not thoughtful? I am sorry I didn't go on with a six paragraph tirade and got straight to the pint.
If suggesting that someone should kill them self if they run out of money was your pint (sic), then you did make it succinctly.

I was commenting on the quality of the advice.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:42 PM   #34
bizzle
macrumors 6502a
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
If suggesting that someone should kill them self if they run out of money was your pint (sic), then you did make it succinctly.

I was commenting on the quality of the advice.
Thanks for pointing out the typo, I fixed it.

What exactly is wrong with the advice?
__________________
get your own damn blood.
bizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:50 PM   #35
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Thanks for pointing out the typo, I fixed it.

What exactly is wrong with the advice?
If that's a serious question, I couldn't possibly answer it. Not succinctly, not in five paragraphs. We just have completely different views of human life.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:14 PM   #36
bizzle
macrumors 6502a
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
If that's a serious question, I couldn't possibly answer it. Not succinctly, not in five paragraphs. We just have completely different views of human life.
It's completely serious question. If you are old as dirt, lived your life the best you could and you realize you are now a burden on the rest of your family and society there shouldn't be any problem. I am not saying if you run out of cash because you lost your job that you should off yourself.
__________________
get your own damn blood.
bizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:20 PM   #37
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God
 
firestarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Green and pleasant land
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
It's completely serious question. If you are old as dirt, lived your life the best you could and you realize you are now a burden on the rest of your family and society there shouldn't be any problem. I am not saying if you run out of cash because you lost your job that you should off yourself.
I think your proposition is pragmatic and realistic, bizzle. It's only been during the last couple of generations that we've been faced with such an ageing demographic, along with the weakening of old family ties which would have had children care for their old relatives.

That said - given that Shrink has presumably spent his entire professional career persuading people not to take that course of action, I can also understand his disquiet.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:34 PM   #38
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
It's completely serious question. If you are old as dirt, lived your life the best you could and you realize you are now a burden on the rest of your family and society there shouldn't be any problem. I am not saying if you run out of cash because you lost your job that you should off yourself.
As I said - different views of human life.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:05 PM   #39
bizzle
macrumors 6502a
 
bizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
As I said - different views of human life.
Thanks. Notice how I didn't criticize your point of view.
__________________
get your own damn blood.
bizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:43 PM   #40
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Thanks. Notice how I didn't criticize your point of view.
Somewhat of a segue, but you might find this interesting, concerning personal choice.

The last one in B.C. died before she could exercise what I choose to call her free right.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:59 PM   #41
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
I want to retire because I want to be able to pursue my hobbies, new hobbies, and learn new things.

I suppose I'd feel the same way about retirement if my life has been so bad that I had no hobbies and nothing to really do, except more work. Even if you have an interesting job that you see as bring similar to a hobby, you can still do that sort of thing without the job pressure, and also have more time to try new hobbies and interests.

If you're young and don't see the point of retiring, you probably live a very boring life.
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.
Abstract is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:01 PM   #42
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
I want to retire because I want to be able to pursue my hobbies, new hobbies, and learn new things.
Same here but I have two reasons why retirement won't come soon or at all. My two daughters. The financial responsibilities for providing for them strips any hope of retirement from my plans.

I don't post this as a bitter person, because they've added more joy in my life then I though possible, I'm just stating a fact
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:19 PM   #43
Iscariot
macrumors 68030
 
Iscariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronteazy
If things go according to plan I'll be able to semi-retire by 50 while enjoying a very nice quality of life. I don't think I'd ever want to retire fully, and the people in my industry who are over 50 are in amazing health.
__________________
Don't feed the you-know-what.
Iscariot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:08 AM   #44
ender land
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
I didn't say people immediately died after retiring... to the contrary, i don't want to put money in a retirement fund, and run out of money, but still have living to do and not be able to afford it, AND be too damn old to do anything about it.
I want to be able to comfortably retire so I can do things like donate my money/time, potentially contribute significantly to any grandkids' college educations, etc.

I'm also not expecting to have to work too much past 59 (if I live that long! who knows right?).
ender land is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:27 PM   #45
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
I want to retire because I want to be able to pursue my hobbies, new hobbies, and learn new things.

I suppose I'd feel the same way about retirement if my life has been so bad that I had no hobbies and nothing to really do, except more work. Even if you have an interesting job that you see as bring similar to a hobby, you can still do that sort of thing without the job pressure, and also have more time to try new hobbies and interests.

If you're young and don't see the point of retiring, you probably live a very boring life.
Not entirely true. Some people see value and stimulation from their work. It defines their usefulness and purpose. (Steve Jobs among them). For some, retirement is something to look forward to, but to others it can be a death sentence. Everyone is different.
senseless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:20 PM   #46
ender land
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
Not entirely true. Some people see value and stimulation from their work. It defines their usefulness and purpose. (Steve Jobs among them). For some, retirement is something to look forward to, but to others it can be a death sentence. Everyone is different.

And for some it's a career change
ender land is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC