Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
andmje
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
MacBook Air Harddrive mysteriously full!

Hello all,

I have a 13" 120 GB macbook air that have been almost at capacity for a long time although I barely have anything stored on it.

If I check the different folders of the Harddrive, they sum up to 70 GB including the system folder. This seems to make sense relative to what I have on the computer (I know I have about 10 GB of pictures, 6-7 GB of movies and music, a couple of GBs in applications and about 15 GB in mail).

However, if I ask for information about the whole "Macintosh HD" is says that it is at 119 GB. Does anyone else have this discrepancy? Or have any ideas about where the "missing capacity" may have gone?

Many thanks!

Andreas
andmje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:58 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    Thumb resize.
  • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
ericDylan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmje View Post
Hello all,

I have a 13" 120 GB macbook air that have been almost at capacity for a long time although I barely have anything stored on it.

If I check the different folders of the Harddrive, they sum up to 70 GB including the system folder. This seems to make sense relative to what I have on the computer (I know I have about 10 GB of pictures, 6-7 GB of movies and music, a couple of GBs in applications and about 15 GB in mail).

However, if I ask for information about the whole "Macintosh HD" is says that it is at 119 GB. Does anyone else have this discrepancy? Or have any ideas about where the "missing capacity" may have gone?

Many thanks!

Andreas
When you go to
about this mac>more info>storage
how big does it say "other" is? Maybe it is time machine backing up all of your stuff locally and taking up a lot of memory. You can change the settings or back it up on an external drive. that should free up a lot of your memory if this is the problem. Otherwise, just look at what it says is on there. maybe you missed some things when you were adding it up.
ericDylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
This has been covered in several other threads. The thing that is filling your drive is the local snapshot of the drive that is saved until you backup - which I am assuming you are doing through Time Machine? It's not really something to be concerned with as the system will automatically free up space if you need it for other things.

I turned off local snapshots through terminal, using the following command.

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Again, it's not really an issue that should cause you any problems, but if you're anal like me and don't even want to have the thought that your system is populating your drive space, this will cure it for you.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
YosemiteSam81
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great Lakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I turned off local snapshots through terminal, using the following command.

sudo tmutil disablelocal
jmgregory is right on with this. I was perplexed until I found this link that answered my question.

http://toti.posterous.com/hidden-loc...s-x-lion-filli
__________________
MacBook Air 13" / 1.7GHz i5 / 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD iPhone 4s White iPod Classic 6th Gen.
YosemiteSam81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
andmje
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
still a mystery

Thanks for all the replies.

First of all, I do not have Time Machine on. In fact, when I click on "Enter time machine" it says that "no back up disk can be found", so that should not be the problem.

I also tried the omni sweep and jdisk scanning tools. Both give me a total harddrive of 85-86 GB. Even if the actual capacity of 120 GB may be a bit lower than the 120 GB, there is still definitely 25+ GB missing! Any other suggestions for this?

Second, among the 85 GB, there seems to be some strange duplication and errors as well:

1. On the highest level using both programs, I get up a folder called "Volumes" which is 20 GB. Inside this one, the biggest subfolders are applications, library, system and users. When looking into these folders, it seems to be the remainings of an old user profile I have deleted (or thought I had deleted - I cannot access this user profile anymore) and basically a complete duplicate of what I have in other folders (e.g., I find office, all of applications, etc in here as well as in another folder)

How can I delete the files?

2. Under library, I find that my gmail folder is 16 GB! However, when logging into my gmail account online, I can see that the total gmail account is 3.3 GB! Does anyone know what the discrepancy can be?

3. I also have 7 GB stored as "Mobile Sync". I guess this is my iPhone? Does anyone know what this really is? Is it the pictures I have on the phone? If so, should these not also be found in the "Images" folder and hence be another duplicate?

Thanks again for your input!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericDylan View Post
When you go to
about this mac>more info>storage
how big does it say "other" is? Maybe it is time machine backing up all of your stuff locally and taking up a lot of memory. You can change the settings or back it up on an external drive. that should free up a lot of your memory if this is the problem. Otherwise, just look at what it says is on there. maybe you missed some things when you were adding it up.
I tried to follow your steps but could not find "storage" after clicking "more info". Is it supposed to be called "storage"?
andmje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Re- installation of Lion may help. You have no backups, so if you do choose to go down the reinstallation route, back up your critical dat to an external USB hdd first.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:10 PM   #8
andmje
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
But I do not want to reinstall Lion. Any other suggestions??
andmje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not that haven't been covered here already....If you have a lot of corrupt or needless files and you are prepared to trawl through finder deleting them, then that's the only other suggestion I have left.

It's fraught with danger though, and you could end up re-installing anyway.
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:19 PM   #10
fullojellybeans
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmje View Post
2. Under library, I find that my gmail folder is 16 GB! However, when logging into my gmail account online, I can see that the total gmail account is 3.3 GB! Does anyone know what the discrepancy can be?
When you launch mail does it have a recovered mail folder?

Last edited by balamw; Jan 16, 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: No need to quote entire post
fullojellybeans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA
Have you emptied the trash?
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
theSeb
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmje View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

First of all, I do not have Time Machine on. In fact, when I click on "Enter time machine" it says that "no back up disk can be found", so that should not be the problem.

I also tried the omni sweep and jdisk scanning tools. Both give me a total harddrive of 85-86 GB. Even if the actual capacity of 120 GB may be a bit lower than the 120 GB, there is still definitely 25+ GB missing! Any other suggestions for this?

Second, among the 85 GB, there seems to be some strange duplication and errors as well:

1. On the highest level using both programs, I get up a folder called "Volumes" which is 20 GB. Inside this one, the biggest subfolders are applications, library, system and users. When looking into these folders, it seems to be the remainings of an old user profile I have deleted (or thought I had deleted - I cannot access this user profile anymore) and basically a complete duplicate of what I have in other folders (e.g., I find office, all of applications, etc in here as well as in another folder)

How can I delete the files?
Ok, first of all, before you do anything, do a full back up. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner - it's free.

The /Volumes folder is only meant to contain symbolic links to your "volumes". A storage partition is a volume. So for example if you have a hard drive and it has one partition called Macintosh, you can get to in the terminal by typing cd /Volumes/Macintosh

The fact that you have 20 GB in there is wrong. Other users have reported this issue before and it is a bug in OSX that shows up very rarely.

Open terminal (cmd+space, type terminal)

type in the following

Code:
ls -al /Volumes
Copy and paste the output here so that I can see it.


Quote:

2. Under library, I find that my gmail folder is 16 GB! However, when logging into my gmail account online, I can see that the total gmail account is 3.3 GB! Does anyone know what the discrepancy can be?
Difficult to say with the info that you've supplied

Quote:

3. I also have 7 GB stored as "Mobile Sync". I guess this is my iPhone? Does anyone know what this really is? Is it the pictures I have on the phone? If so, should these not also be found in the "Images" folder and hence be another duplicate?
No. The mobile sync directory is where your iPad / iPhone are backed up to. So it's not only the images, but other info like what apps you have, settings, documents and so forth. The purpose is quite different.

You can navigate to it via Finder. Hold down alt and click on Go in Finder's menubar. Library will now be available and you can navigate all the way into this directory and check it out. Normally it stores a couple of the last backups. If aren't having any issues with your phone, you can delete the old backups and only keep the new one. Even better, change your settings in iTunes to get your iPhone to back up to iCloud. Once it is complete, delete the backups from your computer.
__________________
What is Other on my HDD?
Throttling, overheating and Geekbench
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #13
chlear909
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
easy fix

Onyx works for this by using the hidden files feature.Gained 100gigs instantly.
Discinventory will also work and is funner
chlear909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Macbook Air 2009 - Need Help twiggy0 Buying Tips and Advice 3 May 27, 2012 01:35 AM
Retina MacBook Airs -BigMac- MacBook Air 11 May 2, 2011 12:08 AM
Macbook, MacbookPro, or Macbook Air. cootersgarage6 MacBook Pro 31 Dec 6, 2010 06:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC