Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Skitch for Mac Update Brings Back Classic Features

When Skitch was purchased by Evernote, the 2.0 update that came after the acquisition was not well received. Key features like minimizing the app to the menu bar, choosing a file format for screenshots, and the corner resizing of images were removed in the name of simplicity.

An update in September brought back some of the missing features, and today, Skitch for Mac was updated again,*adding back even more features removed with the original 2.0 update.

With the new version (2.0.3) of the image editing and sharing app, Skitch users will see the return of features like custom styles and colors, the option to auto copy URLs for uploaded images, a redesigned sharing interface, and more tool sizes. In addition to restoring classic features, Evernote has also updated Skitch with more sharing options, improved performance, and timed screenshot captures.

The Skitch update can be downloaded directly from the Evernote website, and should be live in the Mac App Store as soon as Apple approves the new version. Skitch is a free download. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Skitch for Mac Update Brings Back Classic Features
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

To me Skitch always seemed a little pathetic compared to the mighty Evernote. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Skitch 2.0 was a poor shadow of its former self, and it is an application i used almost daily. To the developers credit they have listened to the feedback and brought the features back that they removed. Hopefully the new update will make precise resizing much easier.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
kas23
macrumors 603

How is it that the re-addition of old features can now be considered a great update? But, it's true and I'm not just talking about this app. It seems to be a pervasive problem nowadays.
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
To me Skitch always seemed a little pathetic compared to the mighty Evernote. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Skitch was one of the best UIs for the task it did, it really was quick clean simple.

Last edited by verniesgarden; Dec 19, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
verniesgarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
talmy
macrumors 68040

The killer of the original 2.0 was that it insisted on saving to the "cloud" and not locally. Is that a "classic feature" that came back? If not, I'll just stick with version 1.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
How is it that the re-addition of old features can now be considered a great update? But, it's true and I'm not just talking about this app. It seems to be a pervasive problem nowadays.
Final Cut Pro X springs to mind.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Ramboxman
macrumors newbie

NIce Looking

It is a better looking version but I still and going to stick with the old for two reason undo in the right boarder and snap or cam. Seems like all the options on the right from the old version are still not being implemented. Undo should of been carry over from day one especially if you can run this full screen. I realize a shortcut exists but I would forget since I do not use this daily.
Ramboxman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
deprecation and dumbing down is the new "adding features"
All in the crazy assumption that subtracting half a second of launch time if at all (speedier "optimized" app) is merrier than a fully functional app.

Cheers

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:12 PM   #10
gnurf
macrumors member

Wow, this is utter ****. I was ready to buy it back before they got gobbled up by Evernote, then there was no paid version anymore. I use it to grab screenshots and make notes on them, then upload to my own server. Now that option is gone - the only reason I used Skitch over the built-in screenshot feature in OS X!

Back to drag & dropping images to by Forklift bookmarklets after editing in Acorn.
gnurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion