Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Can wiping the screen hard remove oleophobic coating?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Over time, yes. Its all dependent on hard you wipe, and how often. It may last the life of the phone, or may start wearing away sooner.

I recall an old iPhone lost the coating in spots where I was constantly swiping.

Because its a coating that is not impregnated into the glass it could be worn off from excessive use

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Instead of wiping your screen with excessive force, use a microfiber cloth after fogging with your breath. If you got it really nasty with food, "slightly" dampen the cloth.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Since most people can't tell if it's there or not (as evidenced by the threads asking about wiping it off, how long it lasts, etc...), I think I'm going to start selling "oleophobic coating in a jar".

"For the low low price of $39.99 ($5.00 discount for MR users!) you too can re-apply the coating you can't even tell you have!"

Send me orders.

*Product may or may not work, and may look suspiciously like a jar of air.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
Since most people can't tell if it's there or not (as evidenced by the threads asking about wiping it off, how long it lasts, etc...), I think I'm going to start selling "oleophobic coating in a jar".

"For the low low price of $39.99 ($5.00 discount for MR users!) you too can re-apply the coating you can't even tell you have!"

Send me orders.

*Product may or may not work, and may look suspiciously like a jar of air.

Sorry but Amazon already implemented your idea for a cheaper price. Free shipping too.
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finger...1374785811&sr=8-1&keywords=oleophobic+coating

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I was concerned about the coating wearing off. But after 2 years of what represents heavy use for me it's fine. Granted, I'm not fanatical about keeping the screen clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.