Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:56 PM   #101
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
Yes, I have. On a 55" LED, there is far more noticeable pixelation and less edge detail on an iTunes download than a Blu-Ray.
Same here. 55" LED. Looks fine to me.

And to that I say, to each their own.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:37 PM   #102
tentales
macrumors member

I'll wait for 4K pricing.... next year

I guess $20 is "ok" historically, when you've been a movie buff as long as I have. I started with $70+ LaserDiscs in the early 90s that were slightly better than VHS but worse than SD DVD. Inflation adjusted, that'd be over $100 per movie nowadays, so yea... from a historical perspective, $20 for an 1080p download is great.

Wait for next year, when 4K will be all the rage. Maybe than you can buy the Bluray 4K + 3D + SD + Digital Download for $20-25, that'll be value

3D will look great with 4K, since it'll finally give us true 1080p in 3D even with passive glasses instead of the "fuzzy" 540 pixels on the current 3D vertical.
tentales is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:28 AM   #103
faizoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I own both blu-ray and iTunes movies and I honestly find the quality of iTunes 1080p movies amazing. Of course it isn't as impeccable as blu-rays, but in my opinion, they are very comparable. I recently rented Oz and I thought it looked awesome. It's a great example of how far digital HD movies have come.
As I stated in my reply, the Itunes 1080p Harry Potter version that came on sale doesnt look that great and I believe others commented the same way in the Harry Potter sale thread. I certainly hope other movies are up to par in terms of quality.
The movies I rip from Bluray and transcode using handbrake with the same file size looked much better than the itunes version. It might've been just those movies though.
faizoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #104
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faizoff View Post
As I stated in my reply, the Itunes 1080p Harry Potter version that came on sale doesnt look that great and I believe others commented the same way in the Harry Potter sale thread. I certainly hope other movies are up to par in terms of quality.

The movies I rip from Bluray and transcode using handbrake with the same file size looked much better than the itunes version. It might've been just those movies though.
The bluray will almost always look better. The itunes versions are incredibly compressed.

Same goes for TV signals (FiOS, cable, anitmatter-transmitter [well, maybe not that]) - bluray is not compressed nearly as much. In fact, over-the-air broadcasts are compressed less than cable broadcasts. Try figuring that out.
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:50 AM   #105
faizoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofnerds View Post
The bluray will almost always look better. The itunes versions are incredibly compressed.

Same goes for TV signals (FiOS, cable, anitmatter-transmitter [well, maybe not that]) - bluray is not compressed nearly as much. In fact, over-the-air broadcasts are compressed less than cable broadcasts. Try figuring that out.
True I agree with that but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that when I compress the Bluray version at home to the same file size that itunes is offering in 1080 HD format, my handbrake transcoded version looks better than the itunes offering.

Now I've only sampled the Harry Potter movies so thats all I can go by, others in the HP sale thread have said similar things.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:52 AM   #106
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

One thing that will be odd about 4K is acting like it will be digital download only which hardly makes any sense. Discs will be able to show off that image much better than some compressed download. The idea of going higher quality just to destroy that idea unless it has disc based media as well.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:03 AM   #107
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Was it one of the earlier Harry Potter films? Have you compared with the later ones? Some movies will look better than others because of how each film is treated during the video transfer by studios. You'll find the same kind of inconsistency with blu-rays or DVDs even. As an example, if you look at some reviews of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on blu-ray, the first film doesn't quite stack up to the same visual quality as the Two Towers or Return of the King.

But likewise, in my earlier post, I was pretty floored by Oz. Amazing video quality I thought. My wife and I are currently watching the second season of Enlightened on iTunes and its very clean looking. I have some iTunes content that is subpar quality, while I also have many that look excellent for being a compressed digital file.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:40 AM   #108
faizoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Was it one of the earlier Harry Potter films? Have you compared with the later ones? Some movies will look better than others because of how each film is treated during the video transfer by studios. You'll find the same kind of inconsistency with blu-rays or DVDs even. As an example, if you look at some reviews of the Lord of the Rings trilogy on blu-ray, the first film doesn't quite stack up to the same visual quality as the Two Towers or Return of the King.

But likewise, in my earlier post, I was pretty floored by Oz. Amazing video quality I thought. My wife and I are currently watching the second season of Enlightened on iTunes and its very clean looking. I have some iTunes content that is subpar quality, while I also have many that look excellent for being a compressed digital file.
I haven't downloaded any of the earlier ones yet. I downloaded the last two ones. Those shouldnt be that bad.

I dont believe Apple does any of the conversions, its all given to them by the studios to make them look good on itunes.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:08 AM   #109
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
I haven't downloaded any of the earlier ones yet. I downloaded the last two ones. Those shouldnt be that bad.

I dont believe Apple does any of the conversions, its all given to them by the studios to make them look good on itunes.
That sucks. I also have a few movies that are kind of subpar as well and do agree that the studios are responsible for providing the transfers to Apple. However, this also mean that studios should be able to resubmit new and improved transfers to Apple.

Catalog titles on iTunes are always getting updated with Dolby Digital 5.1, closed captioning, subtitles, and Extras all the time, so it's entirely possible that studios also update their video transfers to Apple, although I have no direct evidence of this because I'm not sure what movies to compare and when to compare since these refreshes would be silent and seamless. I also couldn't guess the likelihood of that happening.

Last edited by Icaras; Aug 22, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:53 AM   #110
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:

the newer films like Oz were shot on 4K cameras. LOTR was shot either on the first gen digital cameras or on film

the end product is only as good as the source
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:15 PM   #111
mogwat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee842 View Post
Great! I'm downloading it right now
New Zealand store shows "Available September 18th"
*Sigh* ...opens Torrent site...
mogwat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #112
mkdms14
macrumors newbie

Question to anyone who has already taken advantage of the Star Trek Double Feature deal. I saw someone post in the comments and review selection of Itunes saying that you when you buy the bundle you get both movies but don't get Star Trek into Darkness until after its official release date. Is that true? or is this person just making stuff up? I guess my real question is if I wanted to watch both movies today by buying this bundle I could do that? Please someone who has already taken advantage or know someone who has please respond.
mkdms14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:17 AM   #113
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdms14 View Post
Question to anyone who has already taken advantage of the Star Trek Double Feature deal. I saw someone post in the comments and review selection of Itunes saying that you when you buy the bundle you get both movies but don't get Star Trek into Darkness until after its official release date. Is that true? or is this person just making stuff up? I guess my real question is if I wanted to watch both movies today by buying this bundle I could do that? Please someone who has already taken advantage or know someone who has please respond.
They're full of it. I purchased and downloaded both the same day.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #114
mkdms14
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
They're full of it. I purchased and downloaded both the same day.
Cool thanks I thought that looked a bit odd.
mkdms14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion