Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:55 PM   #526
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelsx View Post
Audio quality. Sure it is a phone, but for a phone the audio quality through decent headphones is very enjoyable compared to android phones.
Note 3 with PowerAmp as the audio player kills an iPhone in terms of sound quality. I use mine in blue tooth mode in all types of settings and it's way better.
pdqgp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:26 PM   #527
Fanaticalism
macrumors 6502

I don't like that iOS doesn't let you choose quality of audio/video streams. If you're using data, everything looks and sounds like s***.
Fanaticalism is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:29 PM   #528
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldinboy17 View Post
This. It doesn't mean Android phones suck, they're just different. They're more customizable than the stock iPhone OS. Android also offers the ability to choose your phone with dozens of different options.
The open state of Android that allows so much freedom is also the reason Android is targetted with Malware as much as it is. And the "dozens of different options" is the main reason some Android development companies have to keep 100+ devices on hand to test their apps.

Apple has chosen a quality over quantity path that has proved successful. Android manufacturers have to flood the market with as many devices as possible because Android just doesn't bring as much value to the table as does iOS - another reason we see "buy one, get one free" deals with Android devices that we don't usually see with iOS devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
More options doesn't make a product any better.
Thank you.

Last edited by ardchoille42; Feb 8, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:10 PM   #529
viskon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
The open state of Android that allows so much freedom is also the reason Android is targetted with Malware as much as it is. And the "dozens of different options" is the main reason some Android development companies have to keep 100+ devices on hand to test their apps.

Apple has chosen a quality over quantity path that has proved successful. Android manufacturers have to flood the market with as many devices as possible because Android just doesn't bring as much value to the table as does iOS - another reason we see "buy one, get one free" deals with Android devices that we don't usually see with iOS devices.

Thank you.
Android malware as a threat is a myth perpetuated by Apple and regurgitated by its worshiping masses. Anyone with enough sense to use established and legitimate sources (and there are many) for their downloads will stay clear of these.

As for the " bringing value to the table" is concerned, the question is whose table are you talking about? From a consumer viewpoint, Apple offers much less than Android - an ancient OS, crippled hardware, non compatibility to established interfaces.

From an operating system, Android brings a lot more value to the table that iOS. I'm surprised that you cannot see the blatant copying that Apple has done with iOS 7.
viskon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:19 PM   #530
Goldinboy17
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thank you.
Why would you quote something I said over two years ago?
Goldinboy17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:41 PM   #531
jeffe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
The benefit of Android however is you can store your documents on Google Drive. You get upto 15gb to use vs 5gb too. iCloud has too many limitations as to what file types can be stored there.

There are however, easy backup solutions available too should you store them locally instead. I do the later and won't lose any data as that folder is part of my back up.

----------

iCloud doesn't come close to what Android offers with Google Google+ and Google Drive. That's the major game changer between the two.

Google drive and Google Plus are available on iOS too. Not really a game changer in this context.

The fact remains that you can't easily and regularly back up app-data in Android without rooting your phone. In app data such as game progress, saves or whatever else is often stored locally and without a way to easily back that data up.

Android needs a better solution.

Last edited by jeffe; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM.
jeffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:33 PM   #532
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
Android malware as a threat is a myth perpetuated by Apple and regurgitated by its worshiping masses. Anyone with enough sense to use established and legitimate sources (and there are many) for their downloads will stay clear of these.
Myth? Perhaps you aren't keeping up with current events:
FBI and DHS label Android primary malware target
Mobile security report criticizes Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldinboy17 View Post
Why would you quote something I said over two years ago?
Forgive me, I didn't realize your statement included an expiration date.

Last edited by ardchoille42; Feb 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:44 PM   #533
viskon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
LOL. The best you can do is link to an "unclassified " report from an Apple fanboi site and a Paul Schiller tweet? LOL.
viskon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:54 PM   #534
jeffe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
LOL. The best you can do is link to an "unclassified " report from an Apple fanboi site and a Paul Schiller tweet? LOL.

Bleh, Android is only a primary malware target because it has so many users.

Personally I don't know one person who has been affected by Android Malware and AFAIK, it is not like you're going to get Malware from just browsing on the web on your phone, you'd have to actually make the effort to install a malicious program.
jeffe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:55 PM   #535
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

Quote:
LOL. The best you can do is link to an unclassified government report from an Apple fanboi site and a Phil Schiller tweet? LOL.
Fixed that for you. Did you read those reports and follow the links therein, or did your ego get in the way of allowing you to learn something?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:10 AM   #536
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Fixed that for you. Did you read those reports and follow the links therein, or did your ego get in the way of allowing you to learn something?
Android security issues are largely overblown in real world use. You have to make a number of mistakes and proceed through warnings to get in a problem. Android doesn't protect you from yourself and that's why we like it
gotluck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 12:12 AM   #537
jeffe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
Android security issues are largely overblown in real world use. You have to make a number of mistakes and proceed through warnings to get in a problem. Android doesn't protect you from yourself and that's why we like it
The fact that you usually only see non-android users talking about Android security issues being an issue should tell you something.
jeffe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 02:55 AM   #538
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffe View Post
The fact that you usually only see non-android users talking about Android security issues being an issue should tell you something.

I don't think a lot of those people read macrumors news either. Everyday it seems there is a new security threat on iOS.

Currently snapchat has some sort of vulnerability that a hacker can make your phone crash.

I think snapchat had another issue where contact info could be stolen.

Isn't Apple supposed to be protecting me from this stuff?!? Lol
Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:07 AM   #539
Lloydbm41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Google drive and Google Plus are available on iOS too. Not really a game changer in this context.

The fact remains that you can't easily and regularly back up app-data in Android without rooting your phone. In app data such as game progress, saves or whatever else is often stored locally and without a way to easily back that data up.

Android needs a better solution.
Android copied Apple's Game Center about 9 months ago. More and more games now save to Google servers and allow you to resume wherever you left off, even if you go to a new device.
Lloydbm41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:59 AM   #540
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple has chosen a quality over quantity path that has proved successful.
So there are no quality Android devices? Ironic that the iPhone is now offered in plastic/cost savings fashion. I wonder why? In terms of being successful, that really doesn't apply world wide. Looking at the US market where subsidized plans are prominent, yes, but in the UK where plans are not so lucrative for the consumer, Droids win out.

Quote:
Android manufacturers have to flood the market with as many devices as possible because Android just doesn't bring as much value to the table as does iOS
People buy when they see value, thus by your theory if there was no value in the OS it wouldn't matter how many models there are. There are thousands of items in a dollar store yet regardless if there were one or thousands, I see no value in them which is why I never shop at one.

In the end, Android offers way more version of their phones and OS's because there are many different manufacturers and each tends to target specific features. Some are camera focused, some storage and battery focused, some screen size, some offer many of the above. Actually, those offerings present way more value. Just ask all those crying for a larger screen on the iPhone. Guess who's finally listening too.

Quote:
another reason we see "buy one, get one free" deals with Android devices that we don't usually see with iOS devices.
That's because the hardware is really the lost leader in this market. Drawing people into the system / OS is key. Smart move really. That's how many manufacturers do it. Nikon DSLR's are more price point oriented and they offer a wider selection then Canon for this very reason...to get consumers into their system of lenses. Only with phones it's their apps.

----------

Quote:
Bleh, Android is only a primary malware target because it has so many users.

Personally I don't know one person who has been affected by Android Malware and AFAIK, it is not like you're going to get Malware from just browsing on the web on your phone, you'd have to actually make the effort to install a malicious program.
^^ agree. I don't anyone that's had an issue with malware on an android device. The other reason I think they are targeted however is because it can actually download and save files whereas an iPhone can't. That's a really lame feature of iOS IMO and one that drove me away. I can't save-as a file to my device for easy of manipulation or transfer to others once I do.

It's so nice to edit a document and be able to do so in an environment that mirrors Windows and then hit File Menu and see a similar layout and options.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

I can even export it to a pdf and sign the final document and email it from the screen. I use this a lot as I exchange MW Word files with clients that require edits and signatures.

Thumb resize.

Last edited by pdqgp; Feb 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
pdqgp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:12 AM   #541
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

Options abound with Android vs iOS which is very limiting

Quote:
More options doesn't make a product any better.
Thank you.
Quote:
Thank you.
Yeah...because not having options is so very helpful

No thanks. I'd much rather have all the options Android has to offer, including file / app control.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
pdqgp is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:46 PM   #542
Fanaticalism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I don't think a lot of those people read macrumors news either. Everyday it seems there is a new security threat on iOS.

Currently snapchat has some sort of vulnerability that a hacker can make your phone crash.

I think snapchat had another issue where contact info could be stolen.

Isn't Apple supposed to be protecting me from this stuff?!? Lol
You're gonna lose him with this post.
Fanaticalism is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices