Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
ant2009
macrumors member

Questions regarding mini, gps, apps, digital compass

Hello,

I have just bought my ipad mini a few days ago. I am coming from a 4G iPod touch (retina).

I have a few questions:
I have paid apps and some free apps that I installed on my iPod touch. However, when I sync'd those apps with my mini some of them give me the full screen and some of them give me a small screen. There is a 2x that I can press but then the app is stretched and doesn't look very good. Is there any thing I can do about this. google maps is one of them

Another question:
The mini LTE comes with GPS and GLONESS.
How do I know which one I am using?
Is there any configuration to switch it on or off?
Do I need to switch on my LTE to get gps location. When I used the google maps without wireless and 3G. It didn't seem work very well.

Final question:
mini comes with digital compass but there is no app for it. Like there is for the iPhone. Why is there no digital compass built in app when the mini has a digital compass.

Many thanks for any advice,
ant2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant2009 View Post
Hello,

I have just bought my ipad mini a few days ago. I am coming from a 4G iPod touch (retina).

I have a few questions:
I have paid apps and some free apps that I installed on my iPod touch. However, when I sync'd those apps with my mini some of them give me the full screen and some of them give me a small screen. There is a 2x that I can press but then the app is stretched and doesn't look very good. Is there any thing I can do about this. google maps is one of them

Another question:
Do I need to switch on my LTE to get gps location. When I used the google maps without wireless and 3G. It didn't seem work very well.

Final question:
mini comes with digital compass but there is no app for it. Like there is for the iPhone. Why is there no digital compass built in app when the mini has a digital compass.

Anything that gives you the option of "2x" is most likely an iPhone/iPod touch native application that is still technically compatible with your iPad. It was reported (during the iPhone/iPod touch release) that a Google Maps iPad application was more than likely to come out sometime soon -- so just be patient

There are lots of quality compass apps on the App Store.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:23 PM   #3
jeffkempster
macrumors member

Hi,

Gps is a United States based navigation system. GLONASS is a Russian based navigation system.

If the app is an iPad app it will be full screen. If the app is an iPhone app it will run on the iPad at a smaller size and give you the 2x option. iPad apps are the best.

You do not need LTE or 3G to use the iPads GPS receiver. It helps lock on to the satellites faster for the first time, but it will work fine with out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant2009 View Post
Hello,

I have a few questions:

Another question:

Final question:

jeffkempster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad