Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I just wanna know why macbook air uses SSD and not HDD? i have in mind but i need some input from the expert why they need SSD and not HDD is it because HDD is thicker and heavier to installed in thin laptop and SSD is thiner?

Last edited:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Picture better than words :p

8e7a9uju.jpg

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
So its not really the security of files data stored that SSD offered than HDD, coz i far as i know HDD has this sensitivity dealing with head and platters if was been shaken while working you have to cross your fingers hehehe but if SSD no worries at all

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So its not really the security of files data stored that SSD offered than HDD, coz i far as i know HDD has this sensitivity dealing with head and platters if was been shaken while working you have to cross your fingers hehehe but if SSD no worries at all

Ehhh... I think you may had gone the deep end on this one. Yes, HD susceptible to head crash but they've been used in laptops since, like forever. I stick with weight, as I vaguely recall the first Air had an HDD option(?)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Also for battery life.

In an article comparing battery life of Lion vs ML, there was also a comparison of everything else being equal, the solid state actually sip more power than the HDD, slightly. Unconfirmed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.