Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Started using my Ipad for everything instead of my Mac and I found the Ipad to very dependable and addictive.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Basically a wireless printer broadcasts messages on your network, that your PC sees and responds by listing that printer - it sounds like you're already setup to do this.

So to print on your iPad, your wireless printer has to broadcast using a protocol that it can understand, and that's an Apple specification called AirPrint.

Once you have an AirPrint compatible printer up and running on your network, it's as simple as choosing the print option on your iOS device and you'll see it by name ... select, copies, etc., print. Done.

Some printers broadcast that AirPrint protocol right out of the box, if they're not compatible, you have to connect something to the printer that can broadcast for it. That comes in two flavors: a standalone print sharing box or a computer, connected to the printer, then sharing it out using AirPrint.

The latter means that computer has to be up and running to use the attached printer, the box is a little device that wedges in between the printer and network and provides the broadcast.

Here's an example of all three options:

AirPrint out of the box printers (from Brother):

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/cloud/airprint-app.aspx#.UOxhWqViiRY

AirPrint server device:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/xprintserver/xprintserver.html

AirPrint computer "server" app:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

Thank you.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I was really against the iPad but my wife has one and loves it. She goes on her MacBook about once a week, if that now. My MacBook is going on 5 years old and starting thinking what I really need. We have a Mac mini as an iTunes sever and I put all out music on it, movies, and moving our pics to it. I want a new MacBook Pro or an Air, but do I really need it? Do I need to spend the money for a Pro or just get an iPad and use the Mini for syncing?
I use do a lot on my MacBook, I don't now. I been using my wife's iPad to see if I can do this and so far not bad. My issue is the lack of a real keyboard. I know I can get a Bluetooth one and I'll probably get use to this like I got use to the iPhone keyboard.
I'll probably wait for the next iPad to come out since I am in no hurry. So far I think I can be fine with an iPad. I even saw external hard drives made just for iPads.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I cant believe there's a whole thread here for a guy who just wants to do email and internet and after 4 or 5 iterations of the ipad (including the mini) and billions of words and reviews he's asking can it do those two things instead if using a laptop. Plus he wants to know whats a good case and keyboard. Is this a put on?:D

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
As much as I love my ipad4,I still prefer to surf on my 17in notebook.Much larger display and I don't have to constantly poke at the screen with a large inaccurate finger.I much prefer using a mouse.

I bought the ipad mainly as a second notebook to use when my wife is using the other one and also for travelling.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
Bicycle is really a cute ride and also environment friendly but if you want to cross the Atlantic you have to ride on a plane or a ship. Like that iPad is really a cute device which give mobility over any other devices but as I was saying you can't compare a space fighter with its mother ship. One way or other, you can't rely on your iPad entirely just like you can rely on your desktop or laptop. So in my opinion it will be a crazy idea to replace PC over iPad. Mobility is a requirement but not every thing.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
For me (since no longer having a laptop due to reasons I won't go into here) I find the best solution to me is a decent desktop for my main computer, and the iPad for my portable machine, the big thing for me though is using the logmein app. If you'r connected by LAN you can even switch your desktop on remotely from the iPad and basically have access to my windows machine on the go, obviously you can't do some major tasks over logmein, but its ideal if I just want access to a windows program while on the go, or to start a torrent downloading while out etc.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use my iPad for a lot of leisurely activity, but I could never see it replacing my MacBook Pro's. As a software engineering student, my laptop is crucial haha.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
About the VM thing, I've been running Parallels on my Macbook, and using the Parallels iOS app I can access those VMs on my iPad. Honestly, there isn't much that you can't do with an iPad as long as you use your imagination. Oh, and maybe a connection to a desktop at home. =)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I rarely use my Mac now - the iPad is my primary computer and the MacBook Air is my secondary computer I use for a few tasks like iBooks Author creation and publishing, and iTunes backup files.

I use my iPad to produce a podcast, update my webpages, video creation, and much more - it is amazing how much you can do - it is not a hassle to do what I do, but a fun experience that is as fast or faster than it is on my Mac.

richy d

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
I would love to be able to just use my iPad, but I use my laptop for more than just web browsing (e.g heavy duty excel work, video editing, recording music etc), and currently tablets simply cannot do these sorts of tasks.

However, I do use my ipad more than macbook for general web browsing, email checking etc

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
One way or other, you can't rely on your iPad entirely just like you can rely on your desktop or laptop. So in my opinion it will be a crazy idea to replace PC over iPad. Mobility is a requirement but not every thing.
Subjective matter. Depends on one's usage and this has been endlessly rehashed in countless iPad versus laptop threads on MacRumors. My wife, for example, only uses her iPad. I couldn't do so and rely heavily on my MBP.

How are all of you printing from your iPads?
xPrintserver but the options have been laid out in several prior posts in this thread.

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
I'd love a larger tablet:

Panasonic 20"
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49819/panasonic-4k-20-inch-tablet-pictures-and-hands-on

Dell 18"
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50353/dell-xps-18-desktop-pc-tablet-pictures-and-hands-on

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Try Groovboard, may work for you

Think I'm good actually.

GPS is my iPhone.

Since I own my own company, I standardized the company on iOS about a year ago.

I'm actually pretty excited about trying this out. Need to find a decent case that holds the ipad and apple keyboard.

You can even get it made out of wood from an Apple Tree

http://groovboard.co/

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I have been running the iPad 4 instead of my 13" MBA for a few weeks now and I am not regretting selling the MBA. I do have a HTPC that is used as a fileserver/for conversions/streamserver/downloadserver and so on though and a gaming rig for more graphically intensive games.

For my private usage it is perfect, easy to bring with built in cellular and perfect at home. For work I do still have a company laptop so I can VPN/remote desktop in and access our systems and use all the programs needed.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

The iPad is a very capable device, but please don't dream of it replacing a PC any time soon. Unless you don't do any of these things. For checking email its swell. And for some other things. But the list of things it can't do is still long and significant.

And the list of folks that don't do and would never think to do any of those things is even longer. So yeah it can place a laptop, particular for someone that said he has a desktop also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.