Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi :)! My 867 MHz TiBook is having a weird battery issue.... it charges normally, but at right about ~55% it reports 0% battery life and goes to sleep... It seems similar to this issue.

Has anyone found a solution :confused:?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Powerbook G5? Have you tried resetting the PMU and other things? The battery might be nearing the end of its life as well.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Powerbook G5? Have you tried resetting the PMU and other things? The battery might be nearing the end of its life as well.

Oops, that was a typo :eek:.

I've tried resetting the PMU/PRAM, but the same issue occurs for some reason. Any advice?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'm going to guess that this is an issue with or caused by the G5's immense power requirements.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi :)! My 867 MHz TiBook is having a weird battery issue.... it charges normally, but at right about ~55% it reports 0% battery life and goes to sleep... It seems similar to this issue.

Has anyone found a solution :confused:?

This is from the depths of my memory, so take it with a ton of salt:
Had a colleague with a similar issue, sometime back in 2005(ish). We were investigating the problem and solicited the help of an electrical engineer. I can't remember all the tests we did, but the final speculation was that:
- Batteries are a compound of several cells. As batteries age, the cells degrade at different speed. Some cells might still take a full charge, others not.
- when a cell runs empty of charge it usually leads to a sudden drop in voltage, which makes the computer shut down. Thus a battery may be as weak as its weakest cell...
- The metering of remaining capacity may be built on the assumption of all cells being equal and thus be based on only a number of cells (and extrapolated), thus giving false results.

OP, do you have the same thing as the poster in apple discussions, that your battery reports (Sys info or coconut) an absurd capacity?

RGDS,

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
This is from the depths of my memory, so take it with a ton of salt:
Had a colleague with a similar issue, sometime back in 2005(ish). We were investigating the problem and solicited the help of an electrical engineer. I can't remember all the tests we did, but the final speculation was that:
- Batteries are a compound of several cells. As batteries age, the cells degrade at different speed. Some cells might still take a full charge, others not.
- when a cell runs empty of charge it usually leads to a sudden drop in voltage, which makes the computer shut down. Thus a battery may be as weak as its weakest cell...
- The metering of remaining capacity may be built on the assumption of all cells being equal and thus be based on only a number of cells (and extrapolated), thus giving false results.

OP, do you have the same thing as the poster in apple discussions, that your battery reports (Sys info or coconut) an absurd capacity?

RGDS,

I might have that issue... it reports slightly over 3 hours of battery of left at a full charge, when the actual life is about half of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.