Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
I currently own an Alienware M11X and I'm looking to sell it to get a Mac. I've previously owned the 1st gen MacBook Air and had a 13" MacBook Pro before I bought the M11X so I'm no stranger to using OSX. I just miss it tbh.

Thing is, I'm not quite sure what my M11X would get me in equivalant Mac terms. I've an R3 model and was thinking of selling/swapping it on an Irish site called adverts.ie. I came across this model:

http://www.adverts.ie/other-apple-products/macbook-white-2010-model-sale-or-swap/1206121

t's a bit old but I really love the blend between the white model and the newer multi touch track pad and display. Since I used to own a unibody Pro and an Air, the experience shouldn't be too bad? How upgradeable is this model? Could I put in an SSD and upgrade the RAM?

I'm also thinking of just putting up my M11X on the site and stating that I'll be looking to swap for a Mac therefore leaving my options open. It would be interesting to see what people will offer. I've seen people offer ridiculous products with ridiculous specs for practically nothing just so they can get their hands on an item they're interested in. Any recommendations both on the MacBook in the link above and also what model I should and shouldn't get in terms of age?

I'll mostly be using it for web browsing, writing, etc etc ie light usage. There's just something really cool and retro about the unibody white model that I love.

----------

The price of the MacBook has also gone down to 650 since it was first posted so it should be well with a swapping range for an M11X.

heyallen23

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
hobart, tasmania, australia
I love this white macbook

Hi it is my first post here.

I previously ordered an macbook air 2012, then I returned that one for the macbook 2010 white now I am using...Wouldn't regret.

Here is the reason:
1.I upgrade the ram to 5 gb( wating for my other 4gb to arrive, then it will have 8gb), and a ssd. Can't tell the difference between it and the new macbook air though, both fast as a dream...But before upgrading, slow as hell...I use it for web browsing and sometimes full hd movies no problems at all. Never play games on it...

2.It is the last unibody white...I am sure aluminum macbook air and pro will become classic later, but in my opinion...White unibody is really a legend...

3.It is just so cute...And I have upgrade it to mountain lion, all the gestures and multi touch stuff I experienced were same as the macbook air 2012.

4.Nowadays there are so many copycat pc which look like macbook air or pro...This white macbook will make you different...

Plus I bought this on ebay, on the pictures it seems like 90% new, but when it arrived I found it 70% new, so I gave apple a call, told them I see this as a collection and apple agreed to replace the enclosure for me...:) So excited...

Anyway, hope I helped, although I am too excited to give any suggestion.XD

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Yeah the white unibody really stands out to me. You answered my one concern: upgradeability. Cheers!

My friend has a Black MacBook and said that if I really wanted retro, I should get one of those. He said that I could probably pick one up, also pick up the multi-touch trackpad if I really missed the multi-touch based gestures and nearly have enough for an iPad Mini as well for roughly the same price as my M11X.

heyallen23

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
hobart, tasmania, australia
Yeah the white unibody really stands out to me. You answered my one concern: upgradeability. Cheers!

My friend has a Black MacBook and said that if I really wanted retro, I should get one of those. He said that I could probably pick one up, also pick up the multi-touch trackpad if I really missed the multi-touch based gestures and nearly have enough for an iPad Mini as well for roughly the same price as my M11X.

No worries mate, if possible I would like to hear from u after u sell the alienware and get a mac.:)

Plus I have heard about alienware but didn't used it before.
What is its build quality?

shuffles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
dublin, ireland
Ok, I'm selling my M11X in a few hours for €730 and I'm looking to make my purchase decision. I'll be looking at purchasing my Mac from an Irish trade site called Adverts.

I'm currently looking at buying either an iMac or an older MacBook coupled with a new iPad Mini.

I've looked around on boards and have found a few iMacs but I'm not sure what the best to go for in my price range is. I've seen that there's a lot of 24" and 21" models (27" is out of my price range) but I'm confused about which one would be the best. Are the 24" models older? On Apple's store they only have 21 and 27" co figurations so should I be looking to purchase a 21" instead of a 24"?

My second option is an old MacBook and iPad Mini combination. I found what might be a little gem on Adverts; a 2007 black MacBook boxed with all the original accessories:

http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/macbook/2094190?touch_off

With the leftover money from buying the Blackbook, I would have enough to pick up an iPad Mini as well. In terms of what I need, there's no reason why I would need an iMac over a MacBook. I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck. I know the black MacBook is pretty old but I think the design is pretty cool plus I could always throw an SSD in and upgrade the RAM at a later date.

What should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.