Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM   #26
larzy
macrumors member

I got the same CPU - but a 3TB fusion - which I first thought might be making the noise / fan noise, but now I'm unsure if its the CPU running. It's a constant fan noise when I power the computer on - haven't even installed any applications yet.

The harddrive is a Seagate btw.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Juste
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post
Dd someone mail apple about it ?
I called apple support, and they are replacing the iMac. Never the less, I have not yet reportet any information regarding the c3 issue.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzy View Post
I got the same CPU - but a 3TB fusion - which I first thought might be making the noise / fan noise, but now I'm unsure if its the CPU running. It's a constant fan noise when I power the computer on - haven't even installed any applications yet.
The harddrive is a Seagate btw.
Is the noise similar to the one I posted or more like a general low pitch fan noise?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
There are ways to keep the CPU not idle, but it ups the CPU temperature. Something like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Yep, C3 state whine. Yuck.

I'll also say that the reason you may not be seeing too many complaints about this issue is that a lot of people either don't notice it, or have too much other noise in their iMac's vicinity (cars, fans, music etc) which drowns the noise out.

In addition, your replacement will likely (not necessarily definitely - but likely) have the same issue. You'll then have to decide if you can live with it or not... I haven't had a chance to play with my new iMac yet, as I had to leave on a trip, and won't be back till next week. I'll notice immediately if mine exhibits this issue.
I sure don't hope the next one has the same issue - then it would be no iMac for me!
Juste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:41 PM   #28
Juste
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimusha370 View Post
mine did exactly the same, so annoying
Have you been in contact with Apple to get a replacement?
Juste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:53 PM   #29
xgman
macrumors 68040

You want to hear the new imac make an unpleasant sound? Run a hardware or memory test and listen the the rear fan at full speed. That's loud.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:18 PM   #30
larzy
macrumors member

No - mine sounds more like one of those external harddrives that is loud when connected. But I'm not 100% sure if it's the hardrive or the CPU. But really annoying :-(
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:24 PM   #31
TennisandMusic

This sucks. I was looking to get one of the new iMacs, but it seems like, yet again, they have really bad flaws. Why does EVERY desktop Apple makes have some deal breaker issue? I find it exasperating.
TennisandMusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:36 PM   #32
bobright
macrumors 68040

When is it making this loud noise?

I haven't heard anything on mine at all, but so far only browsed the net and ran iTunes. I did transfer a big chunk of music from an external and have ran a few apps. I'm scared to go and look for to see if there is abnormal sound but maybe I should. It has passed all the other tests so far display/scuffs etc..
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:15 AM   #33
mihai.ile
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
This sucks. I was looking to get one of the new iMacs, but it seems like, yet again, they have really bad flaws. Why does EVERY desktop Apple makes have some deal breaker issue? I find it exasperating.
Because when you buy normal pc's they make so much noise that you do not get to hear those small issues. People usually when buying an iMac are expecting a lot more from it than from a normal PC and identify every little issue. For the money I would do the same
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac