Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old May 30, 2013, 03:30 PM   #26
opinio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Specifically, OS X outputs a PCM audio stream detailed here. The only exception to this is if you are passing through a Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS audio stream from a media player in which case the PCM stream is superseded.

In the end, the only volume control you're going to get will be altering the audio data before it's sent over HDMI which can cause undesirable side effects. With VLC for instance yes you can alter the volume which in turn simply applies gain to the audio data, but eventually that will just lead to distortion and clipping. Using a 3rd party app to lower the volume simply compresses the waveform which in turn reduces the resolution of what's actually being played.

In conclusion, if you want the best possible sound do not use software to attempt to control the volume of a PCM audio stream. You want to apply volume changes after the data has been converted to a analog signal (what you actually can hear) which means using the TV or audio amplifier/receiver volume control.

Well put.
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:17 PM   #27
litedesign
macrumors newbie

I have a windows PC connected to a TV via HDMI, and I can easily control or mute the overall system volume just like I would any other speakers. So why can't OS X implement this?
litedesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:26 PM   #28
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by litedesign View Post
I have a windows PC connected to a TV via HDMI, and I can easily control or mute the overall system volume just like I would any other speakers. So why can't OS X implement this?
While OSX could implement this, what you are doing is altering the digital stream. I would rather my high end audio equipment determine volume, rather than artificially altering the original output to implement a kludgey volume control.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 04:01 PM   #29
snowmusicman
macrumors newbie

Has anybody figured out a solution for this? My monitor doesn't have volume control (well it does but through a slow and clunky interface) so I have to lower the volume of everything with the mouse, and some apps don't even have volume control. I tried Soundflower but it stops working after a while, as described here and JackOSX didn't help either (or maybe I couldn't figure it out). There has to be an app for something so simple, which works without a problem in Windows!
snowmusicman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini