Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slwiser

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
The subject tells it all. I have purchase apps that say they do one thing and they don't with the iPad but do with Andriod; i.e., make a PDF of a web page.

It would appear that apps do not talk to one another within the iPad world. One has to cut and paste a web page URL into the PDF app to make a the PDF while the picture says just click on the open in Icon.

I can't get movies into iMovie since it has its on special place but no where do I find where that place may be. I make sure that it is playable within iPad, move them with itunes and iMovie has no movies to open.

Can't seem to get my mind around how to make things work in the iOS world.

I am to use to having an open file system where I can point to where I want to save a file and know where that file is to open with whichever app I want to use.

What is the secret in the iOS world to using the iPad productively?

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Thats a good question, actually... I always believed there is no way. Some apps use the folders you find at the "Photos" app, some save in the iCloud (like Pages and Numbers, if I'm not mistaken) and third party software can sometimes access your dropbox. But sadly there's no such thing as a consistent file management.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Goodreader is an excellent PDF reader with some fancy file transfer options.

Movies, iTunes sync. There are some WebDAV iOS clients that can play movies right from a NAS.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
There are alot of things wrong with iOS.

PDF making is one big missing feature when the underlying technology is to create pdf's is part of OSX's graphical framework. What's sad is the featureless email client. Safari is very plain jain and can't even properly scale the fonts because you only get pinch to zoom enlargement, the text gets runoff to the ends of the pages, nothing truncates like you would expect.

Then you have issues with great software like 1password - in which you will have to copy and paste - there's no built in plugin's.

Alot of these misfortunes is due to Scott Forstall. yes, the dirty guy is now gone (or will be soon enough), and let's just hope the entire framework gets new API to allow for more flexibility in iOS. You can sandbox all your want but currently the API is way too restrictive and there's no room for any innovative growth outside of the built in features apple has control over/can improve themselves.

Biggest gripe is the lack of multitasking for simple apps like 3rd party email clients. None of them work unless they are loaded. Sure they have push notifications, but it would be great to run it like how mail app is run in iOS natively.

Another big gripe is where is my ability to respond to imessaging within another app? I hate having to switch over to that app. Make imessage one of the only apps that can do this while inside another app.

I really think Scotty fked up the entire iOS evolution. Seriously, I'll admit having owned an SG2, android is way ahead of apple - even though android has zero polish in terms of look and feel, they have the ability to give other great 3rd party apps more power to integrate into the OS and thus giving users more feature rich options.

The subject tells it all. I have purchase apps that say they do one thing and they don't with the iPad but do with Andriod; i.e., make a PDF of a web page.

It would appear that apps do not talk to one another within the iPad world. One has to cut and paste a web page URL into the PDF app to make a the PDF while the picture says just click on the open in Icon.

I can't get movies into iMovie since it has its on special place but no where do I find where that place may be. I make sure that it is playable within iPad, move them with itunes and iMovie has no movies to open.

Can't seem to get my mind around how to make things work in the iOS world.

I am to use to having an open file system where I can point to where I want to save a file and know where that file is to open with whichever app I want to use.

What is the secret in the iOS world to using the iPad productively?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I do hope that APple makes it so 3rd party apps can talk to each other easier.

However, I hope we never see a traditional file system in iOS.

slwiser

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Security is the real feature of the iOS world but...

it is a pain when you want to do something and can't as noted above. There may be some middle ground so that more productivity can be reached.

Has anyone experience with iPad Pete's video lessons?

Last edited:

slwiser

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Anyone know of a book that has been written to help one move from the Windows world which is file centric to the Apple world that is application centric. Just need to better understand the concepts of how to use my products that I want to develop with the Apple world applications.

I just notice the update to iTunes seems to have moved it even further away from the file centric concept into the Apple world concept. My whole music library is built around ripping my albums to a file oriented system. I did this years ago and never changed.

I may have to rip all my hundreds of albums again using iTunes it would appear.

I found an article with a lot of comments that would have been very helpful before I jumped to the iOS world. This article is very educational to me. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/05/opinion-ios-file-system/

Basically, iOS is built not to be productive but only to be used my people who are not expecting to produce anything.. It's goal was to be a TOY for play.

OK, now that I understand this my expectations can be managed which was something I failed to understand before.

Just wish I knew this before I had purchased multiple apps thinking it was an application failure rather than an underlaying "feature" of the operating system.

Last edited:

FlunkedFlank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Another big gripe is where is my ability to respond to imessaging within another app? I hate having to switch over to that app. Make imessage one of the only apps that can do this while inside another app.

There is a jailbreak-only replacement app for Messages called biteSMS that does exactly what you describe, and it is *perfect*. It's what I've missed the most going to iPhone 5 / iOS 6 where there is no jailbreak.

Apple should really, really just buy them out and make it the default messaging app. It functions exactly like Messages but with additional features:

http://bitesms.com/main/more_features

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
You can't use the iPad for productivity because it has no file system..unless you enjoy wasting time sending it off to dropbox and then accessing it from another computer.

In iOS all apps operate independently and its incredibly stupid for a $500+ device.

Productivity and iOS is a oxymoron. I like my iPad but for anything business related I'll jump on my PC or at the very least my android-based tablet (Nexus 7 or Xoom).

They want to make a huge feature for iOS 7? A file system would be a great one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.