Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Hi,
I am in a serious problem with my Mac book pro refusing to boot. Its a 17", bought in early 2011 with now mountain lion 10.08 installed in it. The problem started three days ago when in the middle of editing a project in final cut pro x, my system suddenly started crashing after installing the neat video program. It became worst that i had to reformat and reinstalled original os x. Then i was busy reinstalling back the programs until today when i started using it again. The first failure i had was in the morning when my external disk crashed and refused to come on ever after i repeatedly tried to fix it with disk utility. Then this evening the same final cut pro 10.08 crashed and the rainbow ring was just spinning for hours. I had no option than to just press the power off bottom after repeatedly trying the command option esc. when i started the system, the apple logo comes and a silver like ring follows which just kept on spinning and noting happened. I then placed in my original os disk and used the disk utility by verifying first and it said that i needed to repair the disk but that failed too. It ended up saying that the disk utility cannot repair this disk. Then when i start the machine the apple logo comes and a progress back under shows a progress line form the left to the right end and the whole system will switch off.
I then tried to reboot pressing only the option key and selected the recovery option when the two hard disk were displayed. Unfortunately i tried to use the disk utility there too with first verifying and after was asked to repair, but that too failed.
Is there any way i can fix this problem with out loosing my files. Please can someone help me out of this? I am suppose to deliver this film next monday.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

-Concept-

macrumors member
Copy your files elsewhere, wipe the hard drive, and install ML. Then, move your files back. Don't just clone your hard drive and then move it back over! If that doesn't work, buy a new HD.. don't screw around with drives that don't work.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It sounds like your hard drive has failed. I'd replace the drive and restore your data from a backup. If you don't have a backup, I'm not sure what to tell you.

laks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Thanks you for your prompt responds. The problem i have is i cant have access to the files in the hard disk and i have no backup. I got some files in my external hard disk but that was the first to crash this morning and i could not access it. Is there no other means?
Well thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.