Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sspolston13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Hi this is my first post in here. I am a rising senior in high school and I want to buy a MacBook Pro to use in college.

First I want to know if there is any way to know whether I should wait to buy for when newer models come out.

Secondly, I would like to buy a MacBook with a disk drive (I believe the MacBooks with retina display don't have them, right?).

Also, is the difference between a 13 and 15 inch worth the price? I will probably be using my MacBook for standard stuff like writing papers, browsing the Internet, and steaming videos on Netflix. I don't need anything for fancy video or photo editing, just something that will last long.

Any recommendations/advice? Thank you!

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
If you need a built in DVD drive the non retina MBP is the only way to go. And since they will most likely not be refreshed again, there's no need to wait. However, there is a Back to School Promotion where Apple gives a gift card or iPod with the purchase of a computer which should start soon, so you may want to wait for that.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The 15" would do better with games. For day to day tasks, we're at a point where you should not experience much of a difference between different hardware specs. I personally dislike the screen real estate of 13" models, but many people are fine with them.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Another consideration is the requirements of where you plan to go to college. Some programs have very specific specs for what you need. Best to check that. You can also get special deals from the college that includes on-site service for 4 years with loaner and/or replacements.

On the original subject, I find the 15" much better for my old eyes. I've played with the 13" in the Apple store and it's just a little too small. While you need a DVD drive, do you need it with you all the time? If you only use it at your desk, consider a retina or air. Much easier to lug around campus.

Greene1123

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
Keep in mind that buying a rMBP and having a super drive is always an option. I wasn't too crazy about the lack of a disc drive in the rMBP when I first heard about it, but its absence makes for a lighter/thiner laptop. I got an Apple superdrive off of eBay for $30 and I only use it to watch DVDs in my dorm and burn CDs for friends.

Dwinguel

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Geneva, Switzerland
First I want to know if there is any way to know whether I should wait to buy for when newer models come out.

Secondly, I would like to buy a MacBook with a disk drive (I believe the MacBooks with retina display don't have them, right?).

Also, is the difference between a 13 and 15 inch worth the price? I will probably be using my MacBook for standard stuff like writing papers, browsing the Internet, and steaming videos on Netflix. I don't need anything for fancy video or photo editing, just something that will last long.

Any recommendations/advice? Thank you!

A refresh is due soon, probably after the summer. So if you can wait until then it's worth it.

If you need an internal disk drive, indeed the standard MBP is your only option.

15" is better for everyday use if you spend a long time on your computer everyday. 13" is better for portability.

The advantage of the 15" is that it comes with a discrete graphic card (GT 650M), i.e. if you are planning to use it for graphic intensive tasks like 3D imaging or games, it will make a big difference.

Unless you need something smaller and the 1 pound difference in weight is important to you, I would go for the 15" model.

Of course the price is not the same so if the 15" is too expensive for you, I believe you can manage with the 13" model. Alternatively, you could buy a 15" refurb model, but then you won't be able to get the latest models (coming out soon) for quite a while

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.