Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Hi,

I've got a movie which is split into two .AVi files with two corresponding .SRT subtitle files. I want to join all of this into one MP4 h.264/AAC file with preferably hard coded subs but I'll settle for soft if that's more easily doable.

Now, I've run Part 1 of the movie with its .SRT through Handbrake and converted it into an MP4 with soft subs. And I've done the same with Part 2. When I've tossed the parts into MPEGStreamclip, QuickTime and AnyMP4 Converter, all these applications have joined the files without the subtitles at all.

Is there an app I'm overlooking which will easily join them with their subs included? Should I be going about this in a different way? How do I get a single MP4 with correctly timed subs through the whole movie?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Subler could work with .mp4 files.

Or you just burn the subtitles using HandBrake into both MP4 files and then join them with whatever app you can use to join MP4 files.

Or you go to opensubtitles.org and look for subtitles.

Or you reacquire a better version of the movie via whatever means you did the first time.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Subler could work with .mp4 files.

Or you just burn the subtitles using HandBrake into both MP4 files and then join them with whatever app you can use to join MP4 files.

Or you go to opensubtitles.org and look for subtitles.

Or you reacquire a better version of the movie via whatever means you did the first time.

Subler can join the two MP4 parts?

BURN IN was greyed out. My only option with adding the external SRTs in Handbrake is Default.

This is a very rare film which I have actually been looking for a copy of for over a decade and have finally been given a complete and good quality copy of. I doubt the subs are available through any of the normal sub sites and I know there is no other copy it of it to be had.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
For anyone who ends up in this same situation, this is how I wound up solving the problem:

1. I joined both .SRT files using an app called Subs Factory which is able to put them together keeping the time counts correct.

2. I then joined the two .AVI files with no encoding in AviDemux.

3. Finally, I tossed the new .SRT and new .AVI file into Handbrake and encoded it as I normally would with soft subs as that is the only option for added .SRTs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.