Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyp3navy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Are there any thunderbolt add-in cards out there? I move lots of data through MacPros, but do not have thunderbolt. Not able to upgrade to newer models at this time.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Are there any thunderbolt add-in cards out there?

No. And there aren't any coming any time soon either. Thunderbolt's pragmatic coupling to video output for a "personal computer' deployment means cards are not what it was designed for.

I move lots of data through MacPros, but do not have thunderbolt. Not able to upgrade to newer models at this time.

If really means "moves lots of data on/off drives" then Thunderbolt doesn't really represent any speed increase. A card with a SATA controller will delivery just as fast results. You'll have to select the right controller with external connections but the throughput isn't going to be any higher. Thunderbolt doesn't buy anything here in terms of performance.

If jump into a circular loop where buy TB equipment so therefore need TB port... then there is some traction.

There is little to no points where "I have alot of data....& Thunderbolt" is an advantage over a Mac Pro with the appropriate PCI-e card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.