Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
i got t-mobile nano sim from the t-mobile store and it did not fit the sim tray in iphone 5.

have any of you experienced the same or they gave me micro sim... i am coming from 3gs to 5, so really confused.

planning to go to the store tomorrow with the phone and hopefully they give me the correct sized one.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
nano SIM is a standard. nano SIM is nano SIM, there shouldn't be any difference between nano SIM from carrier A and another one from carrier B.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
nano SIM is a standard. nano SIM is nano SIM, there shouldn't be any difference between nano SIM from carrier A and another one from carrier B.

i understand that, but it seems the store guy gave me micro and not nano. i didnt had ip5 with me so couldnt try it. and when i tried just now, sim wouldnt fit.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Jobs.jpg

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i understand that, but it seems the store guy gave me micro and not nano. i didnt had ip5 with me so couldnt try it. and when i tried just now, sim wouldnt fit.

you dont have to cut the micro to a nano sim. T-mobile has nano sims, i have it in my Iphone 5. They probably gave you a micro sim instead.

Here are the measurements for the Nano if you want to confirm 12.3 x 8.8 mm

and here is a picture comparing all of them, the smallest one is the nano. I would go back and exchange it but bring your phone this time.

nano-SIM2.jpg

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Just cut it down with scissors. It's really easy, just remember which corner was the cut-off one and then keep snipping away at the plastic at the sides until it fits. You don't have to do it perfectly, you can cut off some of the contacts, you can even cut it down a bit too much so it doesn't hold anymore. It does not matter, it still works (until you snip away way too much of the contacts).

I have a sim that I cut down a bit too much and it falls through the holder, I just have to be a bit more careful when putting it in the phone. It won't fall through anywhere inside the phone anyways as there's no space for it to go either up or down in there. It works fine.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
you dont have to cut the micro to a nano sim. T-mobile has nano sims, i have it in my Iphone 5. They probably gave you a micro sim instead.

Here are the measurements for the Nano if you want to confirm 12.3 x 8.8 mm

and here is a picture comparing all of them, the smallest one is the nano. I would go back and exchange it but bring your phone this time.

thanks for the picture, she clearly gave me micro and on top of it she made a big deal for giving it for free. well, one more trip to the tmo store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.